Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Brian Griese to start next week

Ah, sort of as I figured, this thing doesn't really get at what we mean when we say he is great at 4th quarter comebacks. I mean, Tom Brady is great at 4th quarter comebacks in part because he is just freaking great. The "signficance t-test" doesn't take into consideration the overall winning percentage of these QBs. So it isn't really saying necessarily do anything special in the 4th quarter, simply that they are awesome and were on great teams and so were more likely to come back. Its sort of like how Big Papi leads the league in 9th inning HR or RBI or something because, hey, he hits a [censored] of HR and RBI!
Old 09-28-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, not sure why you are on high alert (3 ?'s? Really?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Brother, if you'd have seen all the Broncos games that I have, you'd know!
Old 09-28-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Let me ease your mind. I like John Elway a lot.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Let me ease your mind. I like John Elway a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the difference between Bugs Bunny and john elway?

One has buck teeth and big ears, and the other is a cartoon character.

[censored] YOU JOHN ELWAY-
sincerely
Cleveland, OH
Old 09-28-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to see him twice a year in the most painful way possible.

In '89 - Monday night game 4th and 10, beginning of the Shottenheimer era, first time Chiefs were going to win in Mile-High in forever. A minute left, 4th and 10, Broncos on their own 10. Elway rolls right, then throws a 50 yd bomb completely across his body and across the field to Vance Johnson at midfield. Broncs go on to score and win.

In '92 I think, Chiefs up by 10 with ~ 4 min. left at the Broncos 5. Instead of burning time or timeouts Marty goes for the jugular and throws twice. Chiefs settle for field goal, up 13 w/ ~ 3 min. left. Elway scores in about a minute. Dale Carter somehow flubs the kickoff and gets tackled at the 4. Marty runs 3 times. 3 timeouts. Elway gets the ball back with a little under 2 min. I think, breaks my heart.

It took Joe Montana to finally once beat Elway in Denver, then go back to losing 85% of the time.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:33 AM

Griese >> Manning >>>> Elway >>>>>>>> Grossman > Brady.

That is all.

Go Bears.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In '89 - Monday night game 4th and 10, beginning of the Shottenheimer era, first time Chiefs were going to win in Mile-High in forever. A minute left, 4th and 10, Broncos on their own 10. Elway rolls right, then throws a 50 yd bomb completely across his body and across the field to Vance Johnson at midfield. Broncs go on to score and win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember this one, but Schottenheimer really was just cursed against the Broncos.

[ QUOTE ]
In '92 I think, Chiefs up by 10 with ~ 4 min. left at the Broncos 5. Instead of burning time or timeouts Marty goes for the jugular and throws twice. Chiefs settle for field goal, up 13 w/ ~ 3 min. left. Elway scores in about a minute. Dale Carter somehow flubs the kickoff and gets tackled at the 4. Marty runs 3 times. 3 timeouts. Elway gets the ball back with a little under 2 min. I think, breaks my heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember watching the ESPN postgame show waiting for an update on this one. 20-19 final right? I think Vance Johnson caught the game winner in the corner of the end zone.

That Joe Montana one stuck in my craw a little. Elway had actually driven the Broncos to a go ahead touchdown late (I think Elway ran it in himself) and then Montana turned around and won the game with a few seconds left.

I remember as a kid watching what may have been Elway's first big comeback against the Colts. I may have some of this wrong, but I think Denver came from down 19-7 in the 4th quarter and won 21-19, scoring the last touchdown on a 4th down play where Elway dumped it to a RB (Gerald Wilhite? it was the guy who would do a backflip I think).

My personal favorite Broncos game of all time was the 'Drive II' game against Houston in the playoffs where I think Denver was down 21-6 at one point, then got to 24-23 late. Houston had a chance to run out the clock, but ended up dropping a punt at the 1 and a half yard line. Denver had converted a fourth down in the previous drive, and converted two more on this one to drive for the winning field goal.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:28 PM

put in Orkmin.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:25 PM

he just threw an int but it doesnt matter hes pwning
Old 09-30-2007, 02:46 PM

Sweet Red Zone turnover.