Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Everyone says to analyze HH\'s, but how exactly do YOU do it?

Anyone into poker continues to hear all the top players talk about how they analyze their Hand Histories and look for leaks to plug or better/different ways to play specific situations.

My question is, how exactly is the best way to do this? What do you look for specifically?

What HH's do you select to look over? Playing thousands of hands you obviosuly can't look over all of them or you'd never be able to actually find time to play.

What exactly do you look for in the HH's?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Everyone says to analyze HH\'s, but how exactly do YOU do it?

In short, buy Pokertracker for whatever game you play. As you're playing, make a note to go back and look over certain hands that gave you trouble, and try to look back on your biggest pots (win or lose) also. When you're not sure about your play, you can post them in the appropriate forums on 2+2 or elsewhere.

You can also check Pokertracker for things like which hands are winning or losing you the most, which positions you're having trouble with (etc).

I jot down a hand here or there and go back at the end of the session to look. I'll often check against pokerstove or twodimes to see if my range math was correct, which I've been improving on as far as NLHE goes.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:14 PM

It's good advice but most players leak portions of bets all over the place in small pots. It's often difficult to find these. In stud games most players, good and bad, peel 4th too often, for example and each time you do this it costs you a fraction of a small bet - hardly enough to notice. However, most players do it 5 times an hour, so it adds up. Another example might be calling on draws where you don't *quite* have the odds to do it, or overalling on the end with marginal hands, etc.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:27 AM

Harrington on Holdem has a good description how to analyze hands to see if one played them correct or not. Every hand where one is uncertain about the odds one can do the calculations and see if one was correct or not ...
Old 10-25-2007, 11:04 AM

I play NL Hold Em ring games and mostly interested at this time in improving this game of mine. I have Poker Tracker, but I'm not exactly sure what numbers to look at to find leaks.

For thos of you that look at your Poker Tracker stats, what specifically do you look at. Which stats and what would you like to see those stats at in order to determine what part of your game can use improvement based on those stats?

Thanks again.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:06 AM

Gonso is right regarding the big pots won or lost in PT.
Reviewing and posting these in the forums helps a lot.

To help with the smaller pots or spots that happen more regular like limping speculative hands (as opposed to raising), C-betting, folding to C-bets etc. - Try signing up for the "Session Review" in your appropiate forum.
Basicly one of the mods will pair you will a player at a similar stakes and you swap some HH.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play NL Hold Em ring games and mostly interested at this time in improving this game of mine. I have Poker Tracker, but I'm not exactly sure what numbers to look at to find leaks.

For thos of you that look at your Poker Tracker stats, what specifically do you look at. Which stats and what would you like to see those stats at in order to determine what part of your game can use improvement based on those stats?

Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

How to use poker tracker

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post4946669

As far as HH review goes I generally review all my big hands won or lost as well as every time I do something that deviates from my standard strategy (flat call preflop, checkraising, etc) I keep a note pad beside my computer and write down specific hands I want to look at later. Using poker stove to calculate your expected value vs. your best guess at your opponents hand range is also valuable.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:15 AM

Wow Matt, GREAT link to a GREAT thread. That was exactly the type of detailed info on what to look at within PT I was trying to find.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!