Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 06:20 PM

Default PS3: Lowering price, removing all backwards compatibility

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Cont...p;NewsAreaID=2

[ QUOTE ]

The new model is no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation®2 titles, reflecting both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles (a total of 65 titles across all genres by Christmas).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet another rather usual business decision from Sony. They seem to believe that price is the only reason the PS3 is not selling well. Will be interesting to see if they are correct. Also unclear is if this will be exclusively a SCEE initiative or if they will follow suit with SCEA.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: PS3: Lowering price, removing all backwards compatibility

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Cont...p;NewsAreaID=2

[ QUOTE ]

The new model is no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation®2 titles, reflecting both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles (a total of 65 titles across all genres by Christmas).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet another rather usual business decision from Sony. They seem to believe that price is the only reason the PS3 is not selling well. Will be interesting to see if they are correct. Also unclear is if this will be exclusively a SCEE initiative or if they will follow suit with SCEA.

[/ QUOTE ]

who cares if someone wants to play ps2 games they can take the 100 bus they save and buy the 60 gig or a ps2 which is now 99 buks. 2 years from now the ps3 is gunna be outselling the xbox 360 3 to 1 so enjoy it while it lasts dire!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:32 PM

I have a PS2, backwards compatability means nothing to me. If it were to save me an extra $100-$200 then I'm fine with it. I can always upgrade the HDD on my own.

Edit: I hardly play my PS2 anyway. I'm sure most gamers out there who are playstation fans either still have their PS2 or will buy a used PS2 on ebay for $50 if they really wanted to play a PS2 game.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:43 PM

They have to cut prices, it's the only way they have a shot at boosting sales. It'll be interesting to see whether they cut prices in the US as well, a €399 console is still a $565 console in the US, and a £299 console is over $600. I wonder how much the falling dollar makes it tough to compete with Microsoft in the US.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2 years from now the ps3 is gunna be outselling the xbox 360 3 to 1 so enjoy it while it lasts dire!

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus man, he was merely pointing something out and speculating what will happen. How big a fanboy do you have to be to read criticism out of what he said and attack him for it?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2 years from now the ps3 is gunna be outselling the xbox 360 3 to 1 so enjoy it while it lasts dire!

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus man, he was merely pointing something out and speculating what will happen. How big a fanboy do you have to be to read criticism out of what he said and attack him for it?

[/ QUOTE ]
lol
Old 10-05-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dire has been trashing on the ps3 for months check it out for yourself
Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And you've been here for a month (less, actually - more like 2 and a half weeks) and all you ever have to say is "ZOMG, 360 suxx0rz, PS3 roolz!!!1!eleven1!"

Don't you ever have anything constructive to say?
Old 10-05-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that might be the case, but I didn't even look when I noticed, as Edge points out, that you've only been here for 2-3 weeks.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a PS2, backwards compatability means nothing to me. If it were to save me an extra $100-$200 then I'm fine with it. I can always upgrade the HDD on my own.

Edit: I hardly play my PS2 anyway. I'm sure most gamers out there who are playstation fans either still have their PS2 or will buy a used PS2 on ebay for $50 if they really wanted to play a PS2 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, my PS2 is now a dust collector as are my PS2 games. Though all I really play anymore are sports games(until FF and Suikoden come out that is)