Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Philosophical thought about LHE

Hey guys ... as many of the latest poker newbies, I started right away in NLHE. I started with 50$ on Stars and built it up to 260$ playing various NLHE (tourneys and CG).
I then tried a few sessions of LHE and got a few philosophical question about LHE:

1/Does LHE suck ? I, myself, have enjoyed playing it, yet people around me seem to say it is a boring and useless game and that it is not at all interesting compared to NL, ... am I stupid to like it ?
2/If I am a normal girl and if I am right to enjoy it, how come there are so few games available ? it is true that cash games are easy to find, at all stakes, but tourneys are harder to find : I counted 7 tournaments per day on Stars (counting every stake level ... from 1.50$ to 215$) how come ?
3/About bankroll management, I've playing so far only 2c/4c stakes, but only because I was discovering the game but what stakes should I really be playing with my 260$ bankroll ? The 1000BB very consertvative rule tells me to play 10c/20c stakes, the 500BB less conservative rule tells me to play 25c/50c stakes, while the laxist 200BB rule tells me to play 50c/1$ stakes .. what would be your advice ? and also 6-max or full ring ? I've been playing 6-max because I'm used to, from NL.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Philosophical thought about LHE

[ QUOTE ]
1/Does LHE suck ? I, myself, have enjoyed playing it, yet people around me seem to say it is a boring and useless game and that it is not at all interesting compared to NL, ... am I stupid to like it ?

[/ QUOTE ]

What sort of answer do you expect from a bunch of limit players? Play the game you like to play because you enjoy it.

[ QUOTE ]
2/If I am a normal girl and if I am right to enjoy it, how come there are so few games available ? it is true that cash games are easy to find, at all stakes, but tourneys are harder to find : I counted 7 tournaments per day on Stars (counting every stake level ... from 1.50$ to 215$) how come ?

[/ QUOTE ]

People tend to like NL action more than limit. Also, limit tourneys are hard because the blinds catch up to your stack "faster" than in NL.

[ QUOTE ]
3/About bankroll management, I've playing so far only 2c/4c stakes, but only because I was discovering the game but what stakes should I really be playing with my 260$ bankroll ? The 1000BB very consertvative rule tells me to play 10c/20c stakes, the 500BB less conservative rule tells me to play 25c/50c stakes, while the laxist 200BB rule tells me to play 50c/1$ stakes .. what would be your advice ? and also 6-max or full ring ? I've been playing 6-max because I'm used to, from NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bankroll is an illusion when playing microstakes. If you never ever want to deposit ever again, 500 BB playing full ring is pretty safe. But if you're not afraid to deposit again, play at whatever threshold you feel comfortable if you lose all your money.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:37 PM

1. It depends. Do you like to make 60 interesting decisions per 100 hands or 5 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I think its harder to play NL well and its easier for bad players to gamble in NL which probably attracts them. It basically comes down to taste.

2. Thats because LHE tournies are retarded [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

3. you roll isnt your primary concern at this point. You are rolled for shots at 0.5/1 but I really think you should feel out 0.1/0.2 first and if that feels easy then 0.25/0.5 sounds about right. 0.02/0.04 plays about like the highest play money tables so there isnt much to learn there. Especially 0.02/0.04 6 max is ridiculous the only challenge is if you can felt people before they leave.

Whats with the sudden influx of chicks on this forum? Is the micros becomming the oldest AND girliest forum? If so sweet.

-welcome
Old 10-27-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. It depends. Do you like to make 60 interesting decisions per 100 hands or 5 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I think its harder to play NL well and its easier for bad players to gamble in NL which probably attracts them. It basically comes down to taste.

2. Thats because LHE tournies are retarded [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

3. you roll isnt your primary concern at this point. You are rolled for shots at 0.5/1 but I really think you should feel out 0.1/0.2 first and if that feels easy then 0.25/0.5 sounds about right. 0.02/0.04 plays about like the highest play money tables so there isnt much to learn there. Especially 0.02/0.04 6 max is ridiculous the only challenge is if you can felt people before they leave.

Whats with the sudden influx of chicks on this forum? Is the micros becomming the oldest AND girliest forum? If so sweet.

-welcome

[/ QUOTE ]

1/ Could you be more specific about the 60decisions/100 vs 5dec/100 ? I thinkk I might have an idea about what you mean, but I'd still like to know.

2/ ??

3/ Yeah ... I guess I'll try 10c/20c games to see how it looks like. I only play play money games to learn the rules, I knew rules for LHEm just had no clue about its playing, so minimal stakes are good enough for that I think (my point is : you can have at least 1 folder preflop and maybe even HU on the river :P). You did not though tell me about the 6-max vs FR question ?

Well ... glad to know us ladies are appreciated in the neghbourhood...
Old 10-27-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What sort of answer do you expect from a bunch of limit players? Play the game you like to play because you enjoy it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People tend to like NL action more than limit. Also, limit tourneys are hard because the blinds catch up to your stack "faster" than in NL.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bankroll is an illusion when playing microstakes. If you never ever want to deposit ever again, 500 BB playing full ring is pretty safe. But if you're not afraid to deposit again, play at whatever threshold you feel comfortable if you lose all your money.

[/ QUOTE ]

1/Well ... I was kinda looking for reassurance [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
2/I don't see why blinds catch up faster to your stack in LHE. It might be possible when you're running good (which, in NL tourney means a double-up, while in LHE, it only means a decent pot). But when you're running bad or at least, not great (you lost pots...), chances are, you're in a much worse shape in NL than in LHE. Also, small stack is not such a handicap in LHE, as long as you have enough BBs to cap a couple of streets, you're just a scary as anyone else ... while in NL you lose all your fold equity.

3/Yeah, I wanna keep it safe ... thanks ... yet : 6-max or FR ? you talk about FR, why ?

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1/ Could you be more specific about the 60decisions/100 vs 5dec/100 ? I thinkk I might have an idea about what you mean, but I'd still like to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that Xylo meant that you tend to play more hands in limit than you do in no limit. (I think that I play a bit tighter in NL than limit, but not that much tighter.)

[ QUOTE ]
You did not though tell me about the 6-max vs FR question ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would imagine that you would probably enjoy 6-max more than FR, simply because it will give you the opportunity to play more hands (and be correct to do so).

I think the variance will be higher though, so you will get more swings in your results.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2/I don't see why blinds catch up faster to your stack in LHE. It might be possible when you're running good (which, in NL tourney means a double-up, while in LHE, it only means a decent pot). But when you're running bad or at least, not great (you lost pots...), chances are, you're in a much worse shape in NL than in LHE. Also, small stack is not such a handicap in LHE, as long as you have enough BBs to cap a couple of streets, you're just a scary as anyone else ... while in NL you lose all your fold equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

The blinds catch up faster in limit for the same reason bad luck is 'worse' in no limit. Just as you can't lose all your chips on a bad beat, you also can't win all your opponents chips with the best hand. This means that players tend to stay around much longer, so that the average chip stack grows more slowly relative to the speed at which the blinds increase.

[ QUOTE ]
3/Yeah, I wanna keep it safe ... thanks ... yet : 6-max or FR ? you talk about FR, why ?

[/ QUOTE ]

FR is smaller variance than SH. The games are far less aggressive (at the same stakes) and you're not involved in as many pots. Both of these things contribute to a smaller variance.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:08 PM

1. LHE is about constantly pushing small EV edges. When you are in a hand you have several decisions per street that are important. In NL the decisions you have to get right are bigger but there are also fewer. In my mind LHE is more of an action game than NL, because I think of action in terms of decisions not in $$$/decision.

2. As was mentioned. The blinds go up so its not even funny. Could be that I am totally clueless as to how to play them. But they sure seem like a crapshot to me (someone fill me in on that). And I can imagine that relatively the few people who plays them are good at it.

3. I think FR is the best way to get your feet wet, you can beat that largely with valuebetting. 6-max is a more agressive game that involves more blindwars and such subtleties. It also has a ton of additional variance.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:35 PM

Nice name and gender, but piss off [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

(or just post this in the NC thread)
Old 10-27-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice name and gender, but piss off

(or just post this in the NC thread)

[/ QUOTE ]

ban, misogynist