Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 09:54 AM

Default KQo in BB--standard action?

Hi All,

When I think about what has been going wrong with my game lately, the answer I come up with can be summarized in two words: donk calls.

Almost always, I know even as I'm clicking that I'm making a donk call, and after I get stacked I duly write into my tourney journal something like "Overall played OK with mediocre cards; a few good steals; got stacked when TPTK ran into two pair."

Anyway, I'm posting these two, because I actually don't think I made any mistakes, but now I'm on a losing streak and starting to doubt my judgment.

I've been playing pretty taggy, 18/12/1.6. Villain in first hand is very loose and sort of passive over 25 hands, 43/16/0.9, although he hasn't actually shown down bad cards. No reads on villain in second hand, as it's my first hand at the table.

HAND 1

UTG: (3110 in chips)
UTG+1: 300 in chips)
MP12510 in chips)
MP2835 in chips)
HJ: (785 in chips)
CO: (2110 in chips)
BU: (4155 in chips)
SB: (1825 in chips)
HERO: (4995 in chips)

Blinds 15/30, Hero is in BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Action: Folds to SB, who completes. Hero raises 60 to 90. SB calls.

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets 1735 and is all-in. Hero?

HAND 2

UTG: (4095 in chips)
VILLAIN: (5430 in chips)
HERO: (6820 in chips)
MP2: (3545 in chips)
HJ: (1140 in chips)
CO: (1905 in chips)
BU: (720 in chips)
SB: (735 in chips)
BB: (1960 in chips)

Blinds are 25/50. Hero is MP1 with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Action: 1 fold, Villain calls 50, Hero raises 150 to 200, four folds, SB calls 175, 1 fold, Villain raises 200 to 400, Hero?

Look, I don’t want to start some ridiculous thread about whether one should fold KK pre-flop, but should the limp-minraise have raised red flags???
Old 08-03-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Re: KQo in BB--standard action?

Hand 1: Probably some retarded combo draw. I doubt it's a set. I probably just muck it's early and you're flipping a coin.

Hand 2: EDIT, didn't really look at stacks. Bet half your stack, if you run into AA oh well. I've seem people limp RR with all sorts or stupid [censored] and then call a shove. AJ+ 88+.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:31 AM

Hand 1 - I call (and get outdrawn)
Hand 2 - I shove KK (sorry you ran em into AA).... at least call and shove a non-A flop.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:40 AM

hand 1...fold...if you are ahead it's not by much and with on 90 chips committed no reason to felt here...If the SB is m1king bad plays like this overbet you shoul be able to nail them in a better spot...I probbly just check this pre and play my position with a hidden solid hand

Hand 2: raise more over the limper!!!!!!!!! as played reraise to 1.5 to 2K and call a push
Old 08-03-2007, 10:42 AM

Hand 1: CALL!
Hand 2: 4-bet to 1500 and call a shove... I can't possibly lay down KK preflop without very strong reads.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:44 AM

rocco...why instacall in hand 1? He called our preflop raise and is pushing...what do you possibly have him on that we are that far ahead of? I think we see 2 pair here or a decent diamond and I just don't see any value in calling the push
Old 08-03-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
rocco...why instacall in hand 1? He called our preflop raise and is pushing...what do you possibly have him on that we are that far ahead of? I think we see 2 pair here or a decent diamond and I just don't see any value in calling the push

[/ QUOTE ]

Because this is a lone diamond too often to not gamble. And it's a complete bluff just as often as it's two pair or a set. I gamble early, I want to chip up. If you bust, fire up another one...
Old 08-03-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: raise more over the limper!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your reply. But I thought the standard was 3BB+1BB per limper? Plus, while I don't want a six-way pot, I do want some action here, no?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:53 AM

dunno...with bad players I don't really see a point in guessing early...we can take their chips away without gambling later so why give them an easy shot at ours for no real gain
Old 08-03-2007, 10:53 AM

Hand 1 is clearly a fold. Why bother with so little committed, and with a good/not great hand? Seriously, if this is heads-up for 1st place, I call, but at 15/30 with 130 BB's insta-fold.

Hand 2 is more interesting. The small re-raise says AK, AA or KK, with AA most likely, given that you have 2 of the K's. You didn't list the buy-in, but the usual donk here would shove with 66 or AQ, not min-raise. That said, you obviously have to at least call. I am sure I would go broke here unless an A flops.