Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Re: We both saw her card!

I had a similar experience at the Blue Heron in Port Perry, Ontario last weekend.

The card was dealt in such a way that I clearly saw it. I announced that I had seen it, and that it was the Ac. The dealer took back one of the players cards to replace it, and exposed it over for the table to see. It was the 3d. The hand continued, with me shaking my head. The gentleman whose card I'd seen bet, and I folded in turn. Of course he won the hand, with AA, one of which was - you guessed it - the Ac.

I really thought that this should have been handled differently, but I thought that I acted properly. Opinions?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The card was dealt in such a way that I clearly saw it. I announced that I had seen it, and that it was the Ac. The dealer took back one of the players cards to replace it, and exposed it over for the table to see. It was the 3d. The hand continued, with me shaking my head. The gentleman whose card I'd seen bet, and I folded in turn. Of course he won the hand, with AA, one of which was - you guessed it - the Ac.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol!

awesome story.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I know that in my room, if it flies through the air and bounces all around for everybody to see but lands face-down, it plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is certainly one of the worst variations from the typical rule that I have ever heard of.

For the good of the game, players should always admit when they have seen another player's card particularly when it was due to dealer error during the deal. The card should always become the burn card and a new card dealt.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:38 AM

Obviously I'm speaking with a bit of flair, as I've never seen a card fly around the room and bounce off tables and hit a floorman's head and then land face-down on the table, but I have had a few situations where it's done a two-wheel lean but lands face-down, and that for sure plays. I agree the extreme end is a little silly, but I also understand how this entire subject is a gray area open to angle-shooting.

I'm not going to say where I work. I think my room has a lot of silly and inconsistent policies (like the magical muck), and I'd like to continue to feel free to comment on them. I'll say it's a SF Bay Area room. I'm sure someone paying attention to my posts over the months could figure it out, but I ask that people not speculate here. Thank you.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:58 AM

Not a mis-deal. Bad floor decision; card s/b replaced.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I have had a few situations where it's done a two-wheel lean but lands face-down, and that for sure plays. I agree the extreme end is a little silly, but I also understand how this entire subject is a gray area open to angle-shooting.

[/ QUOTE ]

That card should not play as it was flashed. Generally if any player (including the player being dealt to) claims they saw the card before it is picked up it should be replaced. If they didn't really see it no harm is done from replacing it. If they did see it the player should get a different card.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it does open the door to a lot of "I saw xxx" in attempts to ruin somebody's hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

A. Have your dealers be careful when they deal
B. Have your dealers pay attention when they deal, so they know when a card does flash and when it doesn't.
C. Deal with habitual angleshooters to keep your games enjoyable and fair to all
Old 07-25-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it was a good floor decision, because that is the rule in that card room. I don't like it, but thats the way they do it.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it was a good floor decision, because that is the rule in that card room. I don't like it, but thats the way they do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quibble. Quibble.

(a) Bad decision or
(b) good decision with a bad rule.

You decide.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally if any player (including the player being dealt to) claims they saw the card before it is picked up it should be replaced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe where you work, but not where I do. Tho' next time I go in, I'll ask some folks who should know, see what they say. Heck, maybe I'm wrong about this. I do remember a sepcific conversation regarding goofily flying cards regarding "show one show all", so maybe I'm confusing things. But I'm almost positive the answer is, "if it lands face down, it's not exposed".

But then, we also welcome and encourage abusive players, so keep that in mind.

My main point is that this "I saw it, so it's exposed" rule isn't universal, and one should check with floor staff before relying on it.