Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Concepts from NLTP (28/29) - Advises to minraise

I disagree with the comments on T&P. It helped me a lot to learn NLHE. As Sandman said you oughta understand the concepts that back up the more specific advice so you can figure out if it accounts for the type of games you play in or not.
I would especially recommend T&P to players with a limit background - it makes switching a lot easier. Saying SS is a lot better than T&P is a joke imo.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Concepts from NLTP (28/29) - Advises to minraise

Please bear with me because I don't play much short-handed and have never played online.

[ QUOTE ]
In any case, varying your preflop raise sizes based on the strength of your hand, online , where most people now have stats on you and will catch on what you doing is an erroneous concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deception is important, but you are putting too much value on it. Maybe in online games you have to balance your play more, but you should--in general--make a big pot with a hand that would want a big pot. This seems to me that it should be even more true in a short-handed game, since your range is bigger with similar sized bets and raises.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what Bobbo said is true, in capped buyin games it's less important to cut down implied odds, what's more valuable is to maximise your postflop earning against weaker hands and opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed in virtually every decent-stacked game, even ones with horrid opponents. Maybe I was nitpicking, but I was correcting Bobbo when he used the word marginal. Marginal decisions, by definition, cannot make up the bulk of your profit, that is if your profit is any appreciable amount.

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't mean to insult Sklansky or anything, since you say it yourself that "his book is for deep stacked FR live games", where the opponents are weaker as well and implied odds are much much more important, since you almost always have them preflop i stated that those ideas would be wrong for capped 6max online.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not in bed with Sklansky or anything, and I am open to debate and participate in unbiased discussion. Maybe I'll have to play in these games to get a feel for exactly how they play.