Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2006, 06:38 AM

Default Insane neck pain, need OOT doctors/physiotherapists

While I was waking up this morning I think I was lying on my arm curled up around my head. So my ear was resting on upper arm/shoulder with my forearm bent around onto my forearm. Hard to remember or describe as I was still half asleep. I rolled over and somehow my arm twisted my neck too far, I dont really know...I heard this weird sound, like two peices of rubber being rubbed together...a grinding sound almost. Then my neck stopped working.

At that point I had most of my range of movement on my right side with no pain, but my left any twist beyond a few degrees was nearly impossible, tilting the same. Tilting backward was ok, but forward also hurt. I had a shower and put the shower head over the left upper part of my neck where it hurt for a few minutes, and massaged the area which seemed to help. After getting dressed, which wasn't too much of a problem I lay down on the couch and watched a little TV...when I got up the pain was much much worse, and my range of movement had been cut.

The pain centers on the bony extrusion from my skull just below and behind my left ear and runs down the side of my neck. Now, the pain is constant whereas before it was only when I twisted or tilted to the left, or looked down. I can turn my head 45 degrees to the left before the pain is unbarable. To the right about 80 degrees. Tilting left about 5 degrees, about 20 tilting right. I can look down maybe 30% of normal, maybe a little more for up. I took 2 aspirins 15 mins ago, and the pain has subsided slighty and the range of moment has gone up a bit (numbers quoted).

What the [censored] did I do to my neck? I've had a history of back and neck problems - childhood injuries, but I can't remember any type of pain on this level. Should I see a doctor now or pop aspirins for the rest of the day...2 days...week? I'm in Prague so seeing someone won't be terribly easy, but not impossible.

If anyone can help me out I'd be really really grateful.

-SmileyEH
Old 01-21-2006, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Insane neck pain, need OOT doctors/physiotherapists

It's called a kink in your neck - it's when a muscle gets strained. It's incredibly painful and sometimes impossible to turn a certain way.

It's normal stuff and it happens to everyone a few times in their life. It'll slowly disappear during the day and you should be almost back to normal tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:49 AM

go to a chiropractor

they will make you feel better instantly
Old 01-21-2006, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It'll slowly disappear during the day and you should be almost back to normal tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok this is very reassuring. Thank you.

-SmileyEH
Old 01-21-2006, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
go to a chiropractor

they will make you feel better instantly

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say a doctor would be better.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:18 AM

80% of people with back/neck pain of unknown origin get better without any invasive treatment

i would recommend aleve OR ibuprofen over aspirin, dont take 2 or 3 of the above, most docs i know recommend the max dose of ibuprofen (advil)

if it doesnt go away go see either a neurosurgeon or an ortho that specializes in spine and get an MRI
Old 01-21-2006, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

if it doesnt go away go see either a neurosurgeon or an ortho that specializes in spine and get an MRI

[/ QUOTE ]

What sort of time frame should I wait? It's saturday afternoon...wait til monday when everything will be open?

-SmileyEH
Old 01-21-2006, 08:30 AM

Sounds like a muscle spasm. I'd see a doctor if you can and they'll probably give you muscle relaxers and pain relievers. Until you can get some real drugs, I'd put some heat on it and take pain meds.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What sort of time frame should I wait? It's saturday afternoon...wait til monday when everything will be open?

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

i might give it till middle of the week, i know it sucks cause you're suffering, but the problem is (to be fair i have no idea how things work in prague, but assuming they're similar to here) that if you go too soon, the doc will say that the odds are it will go away on its own and might hesitate in getting the MRI, so sucking it up for a few more days could make it more likely that he takes you seriously, either way he may or may not prescirbe something more potent for pain, that kinda depends on his personal philosophy

maybe try and make an appointment for Wed (Mondays are usually impossible to get seen as a walk-in) if it goes away, great, if not go see the doc
Old 01-21-2006, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

i might give it till middle of the week, i know it sucks cause you're suffering, but the problem is (to be fair i have no idea how things work in prague, but assuming they're similar to here) that if you go too soon, the doc will say that the odds are it will go away on its own and might hesitate in getting the MRI, so sucking it up for a few more days could make it more likely that he takes you seriously, either way he may or may not prescirbe something more potent for pain, that kinda depends on his personal philosophy

maybe try and make an appointment for Wed (Mondays are usually impossible to get seen as a walk-in) if it goes away, great, if not go see the doc

[/ QUOTE ]

Great thanks for the help. I'll pick up some ibuprofin when this aspirin wears off. *thinking positively*

-SmileyEH