Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Most Overrated Baseball Players of All-Time

[ QUOTE ]
Re Drysdale: check out Milt Pappas's lifetime statistics and tell me why Drysdale is a HOFer and Pappas is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read that book, too.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nolan Ryan was a very special, distinctive player. That said, half the world thinks he's the best pitcher ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
you are exactly right, the only reason the OP thinks he is overrated is bc of unknowledgable fans "thinking" he is the greatest ever because of the numbers. now because of the numbers/longevity he is top 8 all time (and personal top 3 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) but there is no way he is overrated because there has never been any list or mention of him being the greatest pitcher ever, just little kids screaming "the ryan express the ryan express!!"
Old 07-09-2005, 01:53 PM

I revisited my comments on Abreu, doing a statistical check, he has certainly improved his clutch numbers in recent years, to the point that over the last few years he is a significantly better player with men on base than when they are empty, I recind my previous criticism.

But I know that is not the dumbest thing you have ever read on 2+2
Old 07-09-2005, 02:38 PM

Actually I think he;s overrated because most people would name him as one of the top 20 pitchers of all-time, and yet I could name 60 pitchers who, in a do or die game, I'd rather have out there. Was he spectacular at times? Absolutely. Physically gifted? Yup. Did he understand how to pitch? Looking at his stuff and then looking at his stats, I'd have to say no.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did he understand how to pitch? Looking at his stuff and then looking at his stats, I'd have to say no.

[/ QUOTE ]
you sir have zero idea what you are talking about. nolan ryan understood what HE could do and that was that he had the potential to put people away. he understood that if he got behind in the count there was no need to give in to the hitter, he would continue to try and throw borderline pitches and if he walked him fine because he knew he had the potential to walk the bases loaded and leave them out there at any time. he played on some [censored] teams too, trust me i saw a lot of those games.

i have listened to him talk pitching numerous times and for you to say he doesnt understand pitching makes me laugh, this man has forgotten more about pitching than most big leaguers have ever known about pitching. you can't be in the game for decades and do what he did and in the end just not understand pitching, that is ridiculous.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:20 PM

I may not have any idea what I'm talking about, sure. But his winning percentage is .526, and his career ERA is only .38 better than the league average over his career. To me at least, those are pretty pedestrian.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:26 PM

Jim Rice

Carlton Fisk
Old 07-09-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Well, this doesn't change the fact that McGwire's a Hall of Fame caliber 1B. But Frank Thomas was much better and no one cares - why? Frank hits a lot of doubles. Doubles aren't sexy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong.

It's amazing all of the stuff that gets said in these threads when looking up stats is easy and takes all of 20 seconds.

The only thing Frank Thomas did much better than McGwire is hit for average. Their career OPS are nearly identical: .982 and .997.

I also don't see how a guy with a career OPS near 1.000 can be overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frank Thomas has 900 more PA, a more OBP heavy OPS, and was, funnily enough, a lot more healthy than McGwire was. McGwire got 600+ PA only 5 times in his career; Frank 10.

He also had a much higher peak (Frank's is one of the best ever) and he's still kicking ass (check out that .250/.372/.736 line).

Thomas will likely end up with 25% more PA at around the same caliber hitting or better, yet McGwire will go in on the first ballot and Thomas will probably wait around and sneak in on a weak ballot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be foolish, Jack.

Frank Thomas is a first ballot lock for the Hall.

And McGwire shouldn't even be considered for the Hall, with his .262 average and roided up homer count.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:43 PM

winning percentage is not a stat you need to look at, check the teams he played for when looking at that statistic and the teams he played for were shitty.

you don't do the things he did and pitch for 27 years and not understand pitching. nolan was known around the league for his "guts" and his "balls," there is a reason he had the respect he had.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
winning percentage is not a stat you need to look at, check the teams he played for when looking at that statistic and the teams he played for were shitty.

you don't do the things he did and pitch for 27 years and not understand pitching. nolan was known around the league for his "guts" and his "balls," there is a reason he had the respect he had.

[/ QUOTE ]

FeelGoodAboutHood is obviously an idiot that knows nothing about baseball. Wins and losses mean nothing. ERA+ is a much better statistic to look at.

Randy Johnson had the 2nd best ERA in the NL last year at 2.60, yet his record was 16-14. Had he been a Yankees pitcher last year, and pitched that well, he would have had 25 wins.