Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 02:58 AM

Default Re: One more time?

This was a similar move I pulled off tonight. I had AKo, 3 bets PF and I bet it the whole way against a guy who was capable of laying down middle pair etc. I had a plan of doing this with this hand when I got it HU against him. This move is something you can pull off with the right players but at these lower limits most of them have a shred of something to call us with so I think making a habit of it is not a good idea.

My image was very tight, showing down big hands the few times I did. I took down a lot of my pots early on without even showing cause everyone was folding to me on the river, so this hand I was able to pull it off. So your image does matter when trying this IMO.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:00 AM

PS. Timmer, I believe that in that 8/16 game they use $2 chips so 2 racks would be $400 Plenty for a buy in
Old 08-14-2007, 01:40 PM

Looks like you gotta bet to win this one. Odds are you will lose but you only need 1 fold out of 5 times to show a profit. And, as others stated, showing a willingness to fire away with nothing may get you more action later when you really have the goods.

Fire away, but your probable loss is far less than one BB.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:27 PM

No value in betting this in a small stakes game. If called you are beat. Just check and fold unless you read him for/capable of bluffing a missed draw.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:56 PM

Well, let's do a little better job of focusing in on your opponent. Against a calling station, forget it, check. But from your description, you might be up against a "thinker" who is capable of making the "good fold."

If you believe you are up against a thinker, you gotta bet to win. In most cases he will figure out that he needs to call. But some players pride themselves on making that good fold. To win, you have to put that guy in a position to make that good fold by betting. And you can be wrong about that more than 1/2 the time and it is still EV+.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:22 PM

Fire away. The semi-decent players at the 8/16 tables are a major source of revenue if you play them correctly, and this is a perfect opportunity. You'll get called a lot, but should take down the pot enough to make it a long-term +EV move. More to the point you'll benefit, as people have said, even if you fail to steal the pot. Next time you have AK and hit a pair you'll get callers looking you up on the river with bottom pair or worse.

This is not a move to make every single time it offers itself, but ruling it out completely neuters one of your best tools against tight, semi-decent players.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:49 PM

If your up against a thinkier he is likely thinking that "I am way ahead or way behind. so I should just check and call."

which he is doing.

in this case he is way ahead.

your only real chance is for a scare card to fall off and bet with the hope that he is scared enough to fold in a pretty fair sized pot which was created by the preflop action. Over all I feel this chance is small Although he might be proud enough to make a mistake and fold.

I dont think your folding equity is very high in this hand though.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:53 PM

I stand corrected.

For some reason I was thinking 6/12

remmit

som time zime so we todd id!!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The only hand I have shown down was against the main villain in this hand and I value town-ed him on a AQJ X X board with AJo after he raised p/f, and check called the whole way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you check-called the whole way, or if he did, but either way, getting one bet in on every street with Aces up against a PFR is pretty much the complete opposite of valuetown.

As far as this hand goes, betting this river is really bad, especially as a bluff. He'll call with worse Aces just to see what you have more than he'll fold 22.