Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: PS 100+9 - AA - Ugly Flop

its an easy call when he jams, just too many semi-bluffing hands you have lots of equity against getting such a good price.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:54 PM

This is a flush draw, straight draw, combo draw or TT-KK way more often than a set, two pair or a made straight.

Villain can't put you on a straight. He has to put you on a big A or an overpair. I highly doubt he would simply shove if he has you crushed, and has position on you. It's a perfectly good play with a good draw to try to get you to lay down a big A or even JJ. He knows he has outs and fold equity.

I call here. I am much more suspicious when I have AA and villain is playing along.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a flush draw, straight draw, combo draw or TT-KK way more often than a set, two pair or a made straight.

Villain can't put you on a straight. He has to put you on a big A or an overpair. I highly doubt he would simply shove if he has you crushed, and has position on you. It's a perfectly good play with a good draw to try to get you to lay down a big A or even JJ. He knows he has outs and fold equity.

I call here. I am much more suspicious when I have AA and villain is playing along.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, good reads. Precisely because I credited the guy with being a good player, I thought that he would have played a made hand slower. I think I may have folded this in a 10/180, but I called and he showed A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Surprisingly, this isn't a "waaaah, I stacked off with aces" post, since I dodged a 10 and a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I went out near the bubble with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in a 3-way AI. BTW, this leads me to another question. With ~16BB's, about 15-20 to ITM, on the button with the above hand. 2 stacks of roughly my size get AI. Do I call or fold? I insta-called, thinking this was my chance to go deep. Thoughts?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:56 PM

You could check here, which may be something I would do if the flop wasn't so drawy. There is a flush draw and a straight draw, plus UTG or CO could have called with 77 88 or 99. They could have also limped with maybe suited connectors. I don't think we can be confident enough that neither of our opponents will have a straight if a 6 or T turns, or a flush if a diamond hits. I would probably raise to something like 320, and see what happens. If I get called by one player, and the turn is a 6 or T or the board pairs I am going to try to see a cheap showdown, and probably fold to a lot of action. If the turn comes an overcard or undercard that doesn't fill any of the draws I think I would fire another bullet.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, good reads. Precisely because I credited the guy with being a good player, I thought that he would have played a made hand slower. I think I may have folded this in a 10/180, but I called and he showed A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Surprisingly, this isn't a "waaaah, I stacked off with aces" post, since I dodged a 10 and a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I went out near the bubble with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in a 3-way AI. BTW, this leads me to another question. With ~16BB's, about 15-20 to ITM, on the button with the above hand. 2 stacks of roughly my size get AI. Do I call or fold? I insta-called, thinking this was my chance to go deep. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn, I knew I should have taken the thinking to the next level. Villain shoved the nuts hoping you had a big pair and would put him on a flush draw.

I remember reading Harrington about a hand where a player pushed a made top full house on a two flush board hoping to represent a flush draw and get TPTK to call drawing dead.

I wish I had the bankroll to play more often at $100 SnGs.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:45 PM

sonofD...are you seriously second guessing your AK suited...get it in and be happy with that stack unless the ITM thing is important as it's a bigger tourney...course in that case should you be playing this level?
Old 08-03-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its an easy call when he jams, just too many semi-bluffing hands you have lots of equity against getting such a good price.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-03-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy push. You're probably looking at high pairs but the pot odds are great. Winning this puts you in great position to FT or at least go deep.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sonofD...are you seriously second guessing your AK suited...get it in and be happy with that stack unless the ITM thing is important as it's a bigger tourney...course in that case should you be playing this level?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not, but thought maybe somebody would have something to contribute that I didn't consider. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I was in great shape BTW - one villain showed A10 and the other 88, but of course the board came down 9 high, so gg me. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn, I knew I should have taken the thinking to the next level. Villain shoved the nuts hoping you had a big pair and would put him on a flush draw.

I remember reading Harrington about a hand where a player pushed a made top full house on a two flush board hoping to represent a flush draw and get TPTK to call drawing dead.

I wish I had the bankroll to play more often at $100 SnGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to read more carefully. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Villain shoved nut flush DRAW with gutshot str8 draw, and my aces held up. I am going to play more of these 100+9 - my game/thinking seems to work better here than in 10/180's - unfotunately I only have ~$2,200 on PS, so that's nowhere near enough.