Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Anyone own a boat?

[ QUOTE ]
When I'm alone it's perfect because I can launch/trailer by myself in just a min or 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think I would be able to launch the boat above by myself? I was told there is no way I could do it...!! That would be perfect though, and I could also see myself getting a lot more use out of the boat also.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:22 PM

When I first read the title of the thread I misread it and thought it asked who owns a

Silly me
Old 07-19-2007, 12:46 PM

Hells yea!! Gets over 70 on the water
Thinking about making a life TR with details...
Old 07-19-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I'm alone it's perfect because I can launch/trailer by myself in just a min or 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think I would be able to launch the boat above by myself? I was told there is no way I could do it...!! That would be perfect though, and I could also see myself getting a lot more use out of the boat also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure you could do it very easily. I've seen bigger boats than that get on and off the trailer with one person. A little tough if the wind is blowing hard but you will figure it out quick. Once you learn how deep to pull the trailer in it makes it easier. I took my roomate the first time I took it out to help just in case. He doesn't fish, so we just took it out for a cruise and to see if everything worked.

Oh it is also hard if the battery is dead and the outboard won't start. Happened to me yesterday.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:57 PM

There's a saying...

"If it floats, flies, or [censored], rent it"

Boats are a money sinkholes unless you really, really use them a lot...but they still cost you out the ass.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:39 PM

You will soon suffer from "Twofootitis"...
A common affliction of boat owners, the desire to constantly upgrade to a boat 2 feet larger than the current vessel.(because thats all i need, an extra two feet)

A boat is nothing more than a big hole in the water into which you throw money. ( for most people)
Old 07-19-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You will soon suffer from "Twofootitis"...
A common affliction of boat owners, the desire to constantly upgrade to a boat 2 feet larger than the current vessel.(because thats all i need, an extra two feet)

A boat is nothing more than a big hole in the water into which you throw money. ( for most people)

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I went from a 23' CC to a 28' Express. At first I was like awesome, I can fish, [censored] and take a dump on this bad boy. 6 months later I all I wanted was 32 flybridge.

Maintence is an expense for sure but if you love the water and enjoy the boat, it's just the cost of doing business. I quit playing golf after I got my first offshore boat, and strictly speaking the upkeep was offset by my golf savings. The maintenence on a trailerable boat is not that bad. When I went to the big boat it skyrocketed. Monthly slip fees, annual bottom job, zincs, FUEL etc, etc, etc.

For years I was dependent of buddies taking me fishing. There is something awesome about deciding to blow off work at noon on whim and 2 hours later not being able to see land.

FYI: I had my mechanic once tell me the more you use a boat the less that will go wrong with it. Sounds strange but I found it completely correct. I never had problems during cobia season when I would be out 4-6 hours 7 days a week. In the off season, when I would go out twice a month is when problems arose.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:51 PM

There is only one thing better than owning a boat..... and that is having a good friend who owns a boat. You can pay for a WHOLE LOT of gas and never touch the real cost of ownership.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:59 PM

Like others have said it's more fun having a friend who owns a big boat than owning one yourself. A cabin/lake home is kind of the same thing. Much better to have a friend who owns a cabin than owning one yourself.

They say the best day in a boat owner's life is the day he buys the boat and day he sells the boat.

That being said, I do have a boat. Well, half a boat. My dad & I bought one a few years ago. 16 foot lund with a 40 horse tiller. 5k and paid cash for it. Very nice boat for what we paid for it. Dad is retired and goes out 2-3 times a week. He keeps it in his garage, maintains it, etc. I use it when I visit and have taken it to Mille Lacs, Canada and a few other fishing trips.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:03 AM

for those more interested in boat recreation (jetskiis, skiing, wakeboarding, tubing, kneeboarding, etc) than fishing, there is another alternative

there are boat clubs; $100/month after paying like 6k to join...basically it comes down to $200/month after the join fee and u get access to ski boats, pontoon boats, jetskiis, cruisers, etc...and they have places all over the east coast from mass to florida

a 20k boat @ 9% over 5 years is 415/month...so this is 1/2 the cost and u don't have to do any maintenance, storage, towing, etc...

u call to reserve a boat and then u show up and go; it's gassed up and all; u return it and they fill it up with marina prices (not inflated) and u just pay that each time

http://www.fbclakelanier.com/locations.htm