Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2006, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Insane neck pain, need OOT doctors/physiotherapists

I know you've probably got the answers you needed already, but I just thought I'd reassure you by telling you that I've had the same thing happen before (pain, odd range of movement), and it typically eases up by the next day and is gone by the day after that.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know you've probably got the answers you needed already, but I just thought I'd reassure you by telling you that I've had the same thing happen before (pain, odd range of movement), and it typically eases up by the next day and is gone by the day after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, yeah I know it's probably nothing...just really scary having it come out of the blue like that. Thanks for the reassurance.

-SmileyEH
Old 01-21-2006, 10:21 AM

This sound exactly like what I had. It was called Rye neck, (dont know if that is right spelling). Something about discs locking in place or something. Do not try to push through the movement, that is very dangerous. The treatment was 1) anti-inflammatories and 2) physio-therapy. It got better very quickley with treatment, and was entirely gone after about 3 days.

You should definitely see a doctor.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:18 AM

As others have suggested, see a qualified medical professional. Having said that, it DOES sound more like a muscular strain/spasm problem, than anything to do with your joints/discs.

That bony protrusion behind/under the ear is an attachment point for muscles. It sounds as though you may have strained your sternocleidmastoid muscle (that bony protrusion is called the mastoid process).

Try this (this is going to be hard to put in writing possibly) - place your left hand on the left side of your head. Now what you want to do is try to tilt your head to the left, and at the same time turn/rotate the head to the right - but your left hand resists any head movement by applying pressure to the head. Does this cause pain/soreness?
Old 01-21-2006, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now what you want to do is try to tilt your head to the left, and at the same time turn/rotate the head to the right - but your left hand resists any head movement by applying pressure to the head. Does this cause pain/soreness?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...bet not more than normal movements. Good sign?

Edit: it hurts the same with or without pressure.

-SmileyEH
Old 01-21-2006, 04:25 PM

It will probably be gone by tomorrow. You will gradually be able to stretch/move a little more as the day goes on.