Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Who is the best Omaha 8 player in the world?

[ QUOTE ]

If you impose a 5 rum-and-coke minimum, Wintermute is far and away the best PLO8 player. But he doesn't have enough hands in sober to say whether he's good or not.

Yeah, rumour had it you used to be pretty good too.
-g

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 PM

Are you guys deaf?

Old 09-12-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
John Guth...next question

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, please. I met the guy, and I played with him for a week or so on the PLO8 cash game at the WSOP after his big win. Maybe he wasn't taking it seriously -- blowing 30k in a week on booze & strippers will do that -- but he wasn't *that* special. Good guy, great player, but not the *best* O8 player in the world.

Sorry, I don't see it.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:35 PM

I should also say that I admire John because he has that certain something -- a thick streak of IDGAF -- that, as a father of two, I just don't have ... and that make him a champion and bracelet winner, and me not so much.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:38 PM

Of the folks I played with this summer, I nominate Tex among the internet folks and Annie among the TV pros.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiousity, do you know for a fact that he is no longer a winning player. I rarely see him playing, and I do agree to some degree that he benefitted from weak players at the higher limits, but even at full-ring he was better than a lot of "winning" players I see regularly. And I have no doubt that he could win at SH PL08 against practically anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

the guy (wintermute) has a good habit of pissing me off, but i've never argued that he can and did totally dominate online PLO8.

In my opinion, the obvious criteria for World's Best O8 Player includes live LO8, online LO8, online PLO8, and short-handed play also. it takes a broad skill set to steadily dominate in both fixed limit and big bet games. i've heard that annie duke is very good, same goes for negreanu.

someone should PM this thread to Barry Greenstein, he obv plays in the big mixed game, and also has a little knowledge of the world of online poker. he could probably spit out some good overall candidates.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tough question. It's definitely not Wintermute. He destroyed the Party 2K PLO8 back when it was incredibly easy and stocked with fish, and apparently didn't make a cent at either PLO8 or any other game type (such a limit O8) on other sites, despite trying.

He was just a guy in the right place at the right time with the right bankroll. As for the actual best in the world, I'd imagine one of the old time WSOP winning pros would have to be in the running.

BTW I know Wintermute will read this and it makes me smile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiousity, do you know for a fact that he is no longer a winning player. I rarely see him playing, and I do agree to some degree that he benefitted from weak players at the higher limits, but even at full-ring he was better than a lot of "winning" players I see regularly. And I have no doubt that he could win at SH PL08 against practically anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played a lot with his doucheness on party back in the day. And I say that with some sort of reveled sentimentality. If mute's musings are even halfway factual, I tip my hat to him and his IDGAF mentality, and the way he has brought to life such a voracious and gluttonous lifestyle through written word, accompanied by clever metaphors and hilariously obscene observations about human nature.

When mute was playing his 'A' game, I knew no one better at PLO8. However, there were significant discrepancies between one game and the next from my experience. I always was under the impression (and still am) that if mute ever learned the discipline that so many of us do from playing poker and handling the emotional and financial swings that he could have relatively speaking the most ridiculous edge anyone has in a single game. I found that PLO8 offered so many opportunities for a huge mistake the difference between one opponent and the next could be drastic in terms of results simply due to one leak in their game, and I think mute recognized these leaks and mistakes and not only avoided them when he was playing well but recognized them in his opponents and capitalized very well from his observations.

As recent as this past WSOP, when someone would ask me for some type of definitive information about pot limit omaha eight or better and correct strategy, I'd just tell them to google "wintermute".

Truthiness- I've always considered validation from my peers and counterparts to be very rewarding, something that lasts much longer than the typical reward in this particular arena. Thank you for that.

-Tex
Old 09-13-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wintermute will read this and it makes me smile.

[/ QUOTE ]Phil - Poor Mute can't defend himself.

For those of you who are new to the forum, Mute was a very intelligent poster with some keen insights. However, he pissed off at least one of my mod predecessors so badly that he got himself banned.

There were some good exchanges between Phil and Mute in times gone past.

I know Mute would have a great rejoinder, or at least a funny picture to post if he could still post here.

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps he still walks among us under a different name...
Old 09-13-2007, 01:32 AM

Hi Mack - You're back. Welcome back.

Mute switched names several times, I think. But he had a distinctive writing style. And I haven't seen his style for a while (not since maybe last September or October, and then it was in another 2+2 forum).

In short I don't think he's currently posting on this forum under another name.

And in truth I don't know exactly what he did to got banned. I assume he somehow finally exasperated the powers that be. I do remember he could be a thorn in the side if he decided to get on your case. But he also had some funny posts! And some good insights as well.

Buzz
Old 09-13-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wintermute will read this and it makes me smile.

[/ QUOTE ]Phil - Poor Mute can't defend himself.

For those of you who are new to the forum, Mute was a very intelligent poster with some keen insights. However, he pissed off at least one of my mod predecessors so badly that he got himself banned.

There were some good exchanges between Phil and Mute in times gone past.

I know Mute would have a great rejoinder, or at least a funny picture to post if he could still post here.

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps he still walks among us under a different name...

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure he rubbed Mat Sklansky the wrong way. Mute would ever so often 'drunk post' and if you've ever read his blog, you'd know what kind of outlandish things he could say from time to time. He had plenty of warnings, but I'm sure that if he lobbied they'd let him back again provided he'd respect the site and the T&C they have in place to protect themselves.