Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Is Cheating in School in this Case OK?

I work at the learning center in my college. It is a place where people can bring essays or math problems and I am payed to help them with the work. I proof read essays and do a lot of math. I was hired because I was the only math major who wanted to do this. So far we have had a few cheaters here, but the last 2 weeks it was just too much.

There is a lady in a wheel chair that is very nice and always kind to most people. The last 2 weeks we have caught her cheating TWICE. Not once, but [censored] TWICE.

The first time she cheated she had to do a presentation and was going to write it like a script then she was going to read it for the class. Well one of the guys who works here notices the writting is just a bit too good. Then she says, "I need to pick a song to go with it."(It was for a music class) The problem is that at the bottom the paper says which song should be played. So she stole it off the internet and didnt even read it.

Then this week I read one of her papers and most of it was plagiarized from some article written by some expert. She wouldnt quote him and would just steal whole sentences.

Its depressing because one of the guys that works here was all pissed off and actually was pissed at her, but she is in a wheel chair and a bit slow. I mean its sad. Something about watching the tutor basically tell her cheating is wrong and pretty much go after her seemed so damn sad. Its like come on man, I think life has done enough.

So what should I say here? Tell the dude who got angry to cool off because she is in a wheel chair or to side with him and be angry at her for the senseless cheating? She will probably come back for more help and its inevitable I will have to pick a side.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Is Cheating in School in this Case OK?

Id have no sympathy.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:30 PM

So what, just because you're in a wheelchair you can be a cheat? [censored] no.

Call her on the carpet.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:33 PM

You should do what is required by your employer - the Learning Center - and what is required by your school. I'm sure that there are Deans of Something that can help you with this.

It probably doesn't involve gossiping with co-workers but more likely speaking to your supervisor and possibly her and her professors.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:33 PM

Let it go. Shes probably never going to be anything in life anyway. Let her feel like shes a good college student.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I work at the learning center in my college. It is a place where people can bring essays or math problems and I am payed to help them with the work. I proof read essays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh

[ QUOTE ]
So what should I say here? Tell the dude who got angry to cool off because she is in a wheel chair or to side with him and be angry at her for the senseless cheating? She will probably come back for more help and its inevitable I will have to pick a side.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to sound like a dick, but maybe working in a college learning center isn't the best placement for you.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let it go. Shes probably never going to be anything in life anyway. Let her feel like shes a good college student.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's [censored]. As the parent of a disabled child I think this attitude is disgusting. I also think it's disgusting that she deserves any sort of special treatment.

She's in a wheelchair, she's not incapable.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:40 PM

Just leave her work on high shelves.

WHEELCHAIR WHEELCHAIR WHEELCHAIR WHEELCHAIR WHEELCHAIR WHEELCHAIR WHEELCHAIR WHEELCHAIR WHEELCHAIR WHEELCHAIR WHEELCHAIR WHEELCHAIR WHEELCHAIR WHEELCHAIR WHEELCHAIR
Old 04-18-2007, 07:40 PM

I am a math major and I dont think we get points off if our posts have some errors.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:29 PM

Most disabled people want to be treated like everyone else. So bust her ass for cheating.