Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Can a Christian play poker?

I am a Christian (Methodist, FWIW). I recognize that this is an unpopular viewpoint on this board, and I am not out to try to "convert" anybody here. But I believe there is a lot of wrong information being spread about gambling by the religious establishment.

There is no biblical proof that poker, or any other gambling for that matter, is sinful. Obviously, the Bible is not going to specifically talk about poker, as the game didn't even exist until about 1700 years after the last book of the Bible was written; but other forms of gambling definitely DID exist during biblical times (the Roman soldiers casting lots for Jesus's clothing on the cross being just one example.) I have asked many biblical scholars of various denominations about the subject, and none of them have been able to provide me with anything other than doctrine created by humans.

So, I went straight to the source...I prayed and asked God Himself. This is the answer I received:

There are many things associated with poker playing that are sinful. Berating a fish over a bad beat, allowing the game to consume your life, shirking your financial responsibilities due to poker losses...all these are sinful. But the poker playing itself, whether for play money or real money, and regardless of the stakes involved, is not sinful.

So it could be said, ironically, that most of the ways to avoid sin while playing poker stem from the teachings of David Sklansky, an avowed atheist.

You want to avoid sin while playing poker? Read Sklansky's Theory of Poker, Malmuth's Poker Essays, and Schoonmaker's Psychology of Poker...therein lies most of the info a Christian poker player needs.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

hey friends
im new here . i am really sure masturbation is nothing less than sexual immorolity and its really very badly( in a angry mood) condmned by god and many others like paul etc. moreover masturbation is jus misusing ur own body which IS THE TEMPLE OF HOLY SPIRIT . paul also says that even marriage is not neccesary( but not a sin) but since there is too much passion we can stop it ( anyway its not a sin)

masturbation may sound gud but it has many harmful effects for insanace
lack of concentration
u may get distracted when v r doing some important work
may even cause mental nervousness and sluggishness

and veery very worse causes even causes penal cancer which is jus a little less than hell itself

but wtever u guys jus know wat is rite and wat is wrong if u think it out in a slow way u will find that masturbation is indeed wrong

best of luck guys bye

joe14

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-17-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also if I could get any Bible scriptures about this is would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm assuming you're not leveling in 1st post, and I wanna see this too. Not that it would change my opinion I just am interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

not leveling.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:25 PM

As I've stated several times in these forums, I am not only a Christian, but a pastor! And FWIW, I'm an Evangelical (Bible-believing, Bible-preaching), not a liberal Christian. And, I play poker.

Does the Bible condemn gambling? No. However, there are still biblical principles that apply. Note, for instance, that the bible also doesn't mention using drugs, etc., but we can still gather from stated biblical principle that drugs are a sin for a Christian.

Principles: 1) being a bad steward with your money. Answer: The bible gives clear indication what to do with your money: pay your bills, take care of your family, give to the church and to those who are less fortunate, and save some. The rest, as far as I'm concerned, can be used for fun and entertainment.
2) Contributing to an industry that is a major factor in ruining lives. Answer: Now, this is a true problem for Christians. Can I really rejoice in a huge pot I took down if by doing so, the other guy is now bankrupt, losing his house, getting divorced, etc.? That's a tough one to live with.
3) Do things in moderation. The bible does not prohibit certain things such as drinking and gambling. The issue at stake is to not get addicted or to allow those things to control your life. If I'm playing so much poker on-line or live so that I'm leaving my family alone, neglecting my job, not cleaning the house or doing yardwork, etc., and by doing so I'm failing to lead my family, then that is a definite violation of biblical principle. So a Christian can, I believe, play poker. But we have to be alert and vigilant to avoid letting it control us.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I went straight to the source...I prayed and asked God Himself. This is the answer I received:

There are many things associated with poker playing that are sinful. Berating a fish over a bad beat, allowing the game to consume your life, shirking your financial responsibilities due to poker losses...all these are sinful. But the poker playing itself, whether for play money or real money, and regardless of the stakes involved, is not sinful.

So it could be said, ironically, that most of the ways to avoid sin while playing poker stem from the teachings of David Sklansky, an avowed atheist.

You want to avoid sin while playing poker? Read Sklansky's Theory of Poker, Malmuth's Poker Essays, and Schoonmaker's Psychology of Poker...therein lies most of the info a Christian poker player needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF!! I asked God the same thing and he told me poker would curse my soul! [censored] just doesn't want me at his tables obv.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also if I could get any Bible scriptures about this is would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm assuming you're not leveling in 1st post, and I wanna see this too. Not that it would change my opinion I just am interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

not leveling.

[/ QUOTE ]Just making sure, knowing the general tone of BBV.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

and veery very worse causes even causes penal cancer which is jus a little less than hell itself

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHA
Old 02-17-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I've stated several times in these forums, I am not only a Christian, but a pastor! And FWIW, I'm an Evangelical (Bible-believing, Bible-preaching), not a liberal Christian. And, I play poker.

Does the Bible condemn gambling? No. However, there are still biblical principles that apply. Note, for instance, that the bible also doesn't mention using drugs, etc., but we can still gather from stated biblical principle that drugs are a sin for a Christian.

Principles: 1) being a bad steward with your money. Answer: The bible gives clear indication what to do with your money: pay your bills, take care of your family, give to the church and to those who are less fortunate, and save some. The rest, as far as I'm concerned, can be used for fun and entertainment.
2) Contributing to an industry that is a major factor in ruining lives. Answer: Now, this is a true problem for Christians. Can I really rejoice in a huge pot I took down if by doing so, the other guy is now bankrupt, losing his house, getting divorced, etc.? That's a tough one to live with.
3) Do things in moderation. The bible does not prohibit certain things such as drinking and gambling. The issue at stake is to not get addicted or to allow those things to control your life. If I'm playing so much poker on-line or live so that I'm leaving my family alone, neglecting my job, not cleaning the house or doing yardwork, etc., and by doing so I'm failing to lead my family, then that is a definite violation of biblical principle. So a Christian can, I believe, play poker. But we have to be alert and vigilant to avoid letting it control us.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a very refreshing post, imo, for christians and non-christians alike.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHA

[/ QUOTE ]

if he doesn't masturbate, and doesn't need much sex in marriage either, I don't see his problem [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as a non-Christian, this is a very good philosophy to live by, IMO.