Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Can a Christian play poker?

I meant to say - Beat: I started this thread.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, but according to white supremicists, online poker is RIGGED!

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/show....html?t=193053

[/ QUOTE ]
THE JEWS RIGGED POKER

[/ QUOTE ]
racism isnt funny in bbv anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]
You were Jewed, that's all.

teeheehee
Old 04-02-2007, 05:53 PM

Why the [censored] not?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:41 PM

I don't know if Christians should play poker or not, but I'm pretty sure you go to hell for surfing bbv...
Old 04-02-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also if I could get any Bible scriptures about this is would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking through the Bible and couldn't find any for you. But I stumbled upon some interesting rules in Exodus regarding the treatment of personal slaves. So if you happen to have any slaves bunking around your house, get back to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 04-02-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What “sin” are you making playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, I have a hard enough time figuring out pot odds...

I'm really screwed!

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As I've stated several times in these forums, I am not only a Christian, but a pastor! And FWIW, I'm an Evangelical (Bible-believing, Bible-preaching), not a liberal Christian. And, I play poker.

Does the Bible condemn gambling? No. However, there are still biblical principles that apply. Note, for instance, that the bible also doesn't mention using drugs, etc., but we can still gather from stated biblical principle that drugs are a sin for a Christian.

Principles: 1) being a bad steward with your money. Answer: The bible gives clear indication what to do with your money: pay your bills, take care of your family, give to the church and to those who are less fortunate, and save some. The rest, as far as I'm concerned, can be used for fun and entertainment.
2) Contributing to an industry that is a major factor in ruining lives. Answer: Now, this is a true problem for Christians. Can I really rejoice in a huge pot I took down if by doing so, the other guy is now bankrupt, losing his house, getting divorced, etc.? That's a tough one to live with.
3) Do things in moderation. The bible does not prohibit certain things such as drinking and gambling. The issue at stake is to not get addicted or to allow those things to control your life. If I'm playing so much poker on-line or live so that I'm leaving my family alone, neglecting my job, not cleaning the house or doing yardwork, etc., and by doing so I'm failing to lead my family, then that is a definite violation of biblical principle. So a Christian can, I believe, play poker. But we have to be alert and vigilant to avoid letting it control us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Post...I am also a Christian and would add two additional considerations for Christians who play poker (especially those in Leadership for whom a higher standard exists):

4) What Does Your Conscience Say? On issues where there is no clear or specific Biblical proabition given, there is precedant for the Christian to adhere to his or her own conscience as a guide for decision making.

For example, the Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 8:4-13 addresses such a situation:

A dispute existed in the early Corinthian church between two groups of Christians regarding food purchased at the local market. The port city of Corinth was a hub of pagan worship which included food sacrifices/offerings to pagan idols. This "food sacrificed to idols" would later be sold in the local market.

One group of Christians felt that any food used in pagan ritual was in essence "defiled", and that it was not only improper but sinful for a Christian to buy and eat such a product. Eating "defiled" food indirectly supported and legitimzed the pagan gods and consequently was "un-Christian".

A second group of Christians reasoned that pagan idols are just lifeless objects and that food is food (God created it for us to eat) and that whether a food item was purchased from a pagan temple or not had no effect on the Christian's spiritual condition, which is utimately an issue of the heart.

These two groups of Christians were in conflict. Is it or is it not sinful to participate in an activity that is not specifically addressed biblically?

Paul resolves the issue by pointing out that "Food does not bring us closer to God: we are no worse if we do not eat and no better if we do." In other words, the activity, for which no biblical direction is given, is not a Faith issue in itself.

He goes on to explain that the first group who obstain from eating food sacrificed to an idol, does so out of motivation ultimately to honor God by living free from any connection (direct or indirect) to the unbiblical pagan practices of their community. Their motivation is good. To go against their conscience, would be sinful.

Similarly, Paul affirms that the second group of Christians who eat the same food, do so because of the clear understanding that God is above lifeless idols's (food is food - no faith implications). They honor God by living life free from external condemnation and consequently eat with a clear conscience.

Conclusion: In activities where there is no direct Biblical proabition/direction given, one's conscience is a valid factor in deciding.

*** It should be noted, however, that there is, another compelling additional consideration to one's conscience: ***

5) What impact does my playing poker have on the people around me?

Christian people, especially those in leadership, have an obligation to live as positive examples. In some faith communities, playing poker is considered sinful. A Christian playing poker in this setting (even if their own conscience is clear and they have personal freedom to play), could have a negative impact on less mature believers.

The biblical guideline is that the person with a clear conscience has an obligation to adjust their behavior so as not to negatively affect those less mature in the Faith. "Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 1 Cor 8:9 "

Conclusion: I believe a Christian can play poker as per the principles outlined by OP's points 1-3. Additionally, I believe that good reason's can be made by a Christian not to play poker (point 4). And finally, I believe that a Christian who plays poker should exercise discretion in their hobby in a way that is consistent with the standards of their faith community (point 5).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dead on.

Jake
Old 04-02-2007, 08:56 PM

I never read this thread before, when it first appeared. Brilliant post, ZeTurd.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I sent a PM to a poster in this thread with regard to Christianity and gambling and he seemed to appreciate it so I'll post it here as well:

[/ QUOTE ]
Jesus [censored] christ. Is this what it has come to these days? I, personally, don't give a [censored] if I take money from some stupid idiot that is, uh, "exercising bad stewardship of his assets", but the way some Christians rationalize gambling is just sickening. If you're gonna have a moral code, for God's [censored] sake, at least exercise some goddamn consistency.

[ QUOTE ]
There's no reason you should be conflicted about being a Christian and playing poker (assuming you are a winning player which I guess I don't know for sure but I'll assume you are).

[/ QUOTE ]
So, uh, gambling is a sin for losing players and not for winning players. Rationalize much?

Let's expand a bit on this theme. You're a winning player and you're clearly seeking to exploit those at a lesser skill level than yourself. That's what we all do; those of us that actually win at this game, and I'm going to assume it's a majority of us here at 2+2.

So, what's your rationale for thinking it's ethically OK to extract monies from those lesser than you on the poker tables? Recreation? To donate the winnings to your local church? Nah, you're doing it to enrich yourself. Covetousness. Pure and simple - one of the oldest sins. Stop trying to make it out to be something that it's not.

[ QUOTE ]
It gets more questionable if you are a losing player, as that gets into stewardship of your $$$, but even then, I don't know very many Christians who don't spend any money on recreation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here we go with the rationalization again. Where do you draw the line? Say, if I were a family guy, which I may or may not be, would it be ok if I lost $100 on the poker tables that could be spent to take my family out to a better dinner? Where do you draw the line?

[ QUOTE ]
You playing in the game generally has no effect on the losing player choosing to play.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's mighty interesting. If I were a drug dealer, would I be free of sin if I elected to sell drugs to derelicts that chose to seek me out voluntarily?

[ QUOTE ]
Like an alcoholic with alcohol, they may need to hit bottom to realize they have a problem. You don't want to enable them. If anything, we are doing them a favor in the long run by taking their money (totally serious).

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, that's swell. We're teaching the fish a lesson! They had it coming! Jesus [censored] christ.

[ QUOTE ]
As for the argument that playing poker is unproductive other than financially, this is an argument I can see. But a large part of the reason I play poker is so I will have extra time and extra money to be used in Godly pursuits. In this sense playing poker for a living is far more Godly than giving the man 60 hours a week IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
The man? What the hell? You're saying that taking the money off degenerates (apparently for their own good) is more divine than actually contributing real values to society through regular labor?

Look, I play poker. And I win at poker. But I have no [censored] illusions about what I'm doing. I'm taking money from idiots that probably should be doing far more constructive things with their money. How do you deal, in theological and ethical terms, with the fact that your playing is putting people in situations where they're not able to uphold "good stewardship of their resources"?

If you're OK with it, would you say that drug-dealers are entirely blameless?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-02-2007, 09:05 PM

But yeah, [censored] this thread. If there's hell below, we're all gonna go.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:54 AM

If you are a Baptist you have all your bases covered. DO ANYTHING!!!! You were written down in the book of life way before you were conscious. Nothing you do can ever change