Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Ballys

[ QUOTE ]
It used to be all tourists, but more and more local regulars have started playing there due to both their freeroll, and their fairly well known touristy clientele.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored], I knew it was only a matter of time before the local nits discovered this room.

What is this about a freeroll?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:05 PM

I don't know all the details, but it involved getting 75 hours in between Jan-March, I believe.

It is pretty hit or miss. I played there excusively from about mid Dec-Jan, and there was usually one or two locals at the table. There was one time, in Jan where it was incredible. My ENTIRE table was local nits. The other NL table was ALL DRUNKEN TOURISTS. I don't know if Ballys staff was playing a joke on us or what, but I didn't appreciate it, and haven't been back since.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:33 AM

Bally's freeroll is over. It was 50 hours each of Dec/Jan/Feb or 200 hours total to qualify for a >$100K freeroll (I think it ended up being like $140K). It was also a stealth-freeroll. They didn't hype it at all, and it was barely mentioned in the room, even. The claim was it was intended to reward their regular players, those who paid many $1 jackpot drops over the previous many months until the excess high hand money had accumulated to $100K size. They intentionally did not want to advertise it and have all the local nits storming the place.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:18 AM

Bally's hotel is fine, at least one of the towers is. My friend stayed there in September and his room seemed nice to me. Bally's has an oldschool vibe. Basically people are there to have a good time and gamble and the atmosphere is good IMO.

The 1-2NL is usually good when I have been there but the last week I played it was pretty weak tight with a lot of 100$ or less stacks just waitng to get it in pre-flop. It was hard to make big money but easy to beat just like all live 1-2 games.

The good thing is you can walk over to the Bellagio and play 2-5NL or 5-10 each with a 100BB cap. Games at the Bellagio are usually good on weekends. Caesar's is also an easy walk and they have a 1-2NL with a 500 cap and a 2-5 with 1000 cap. Caesar's is pretty nitty IMO but that doesnt mean the players are good, just not big action players/gamblers.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:20 PM

A couple of us regularly stay at Ballys, its nothing fancy but you can't beat it for for price, location and quality. Remodelled rooms are nicer than regular Mirage rooms IMO, and much cheaper. As many of said, fantastic location. And the coffee shop way off in the corner to the right when you come down the escalator has good made-to-order sandwiches for a fair price.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:12 AM

The sandwich place is really a hidden gem. I had forgot about that. Bally's is one of many rooms, pretty much all the same depending on your good fortune of finding a table of drunken gamblers. No worse, no better.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bally's poker room is a railed off area next to a blackjack pit. This makes it a great location for a quick double up.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC they don't have decent blackjack.

Bally's and Paris' poker tables were where I realised that if I did what I read in GSIHE or SSHE then I could win at this game. I think that was when I heard some big doofus say "Check in the dark".