Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Having trouble dealing with postflop minraises

A particular situation I struggle with a lot is getting away from a strong but vulnerable hand when I get minraised after the flop where calling would end up committing me to the pot. I don't want to dig through my HH right now, but I'll make up a hypothetical hand that I would have this problem with:

$22 sng, 4 players left, stacks are:
Hero: 3000
Button: 3000
SB: 4000
BB: 4000

Blinds are 150/75, I get AJ and raise to 400. Button calls, both blinds fold. The pot is now 1025. The flop comes AQ9 rainbow. I bet out 600, villain minraises to 1200. Villain is an average $22 player, and the minraise is a strange play that I haven't seen him make yet. Now what do I do?

Just calling would pot-commit me, as there would be 3625 in the pot and my stack would be down to 1400. So calling is out.

If I reraise all-in, I likely have very little fold equity, and I just have to hope he's making some strange play with a draw or something.

Can I really fold this? I have top pair with decent kicker, and had villain made a larger raise, I probably would push.

In these situations, I can never convince myself to fold, and I push all-in and am almost always called by a stronger hand. I know the losses probably stick out in my mind more often, but it really seems like a minraise here is almost always a big hand, yet I can't ever fold in these situations.

And I know some players would play differently preflop or first to act on the flop, but let's focus on the minraise part. I've run into these situations a lot when I'm the BB as well and it gets limped and I hit a decent hand like a TP/draw combo and get minraised as well.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Having trouble dealing with postflop minraises

shorthanded with tp decent kicker against a min raise I am shoving almost all the time. Players can min raise as to not pot commit themselves and they just want to find out where they are (they see this as cheaper than c/c 3 streets). Min raise isn't always strength from unknown vilains.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:59 PM

hm, this late you should have some PT read on aggro. If he isnt overly passive, i shove this.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A particular situation I struggle with a lot is getting away from a strong but vulnerable hand when I get minraised after the flop where calling would end up committing me to the pot. I don't want to dig through my HH right now, but I'll make up a hypothetical hand that I would have this problem with:

$22 sng, 4 players left, stacks are:
Hero: 3000
Button: 3000
SB: 4000
BB: 4000

Blinds are 150/75, I get AJ and raise to 400. Button calls, both blinds fold. The pot is now 1025. The flop comes AQ9 rainbow. I bet out 600, villain minraises to 1200. Villain is an average $22 player, and the minraise is a strange play that I haven't seen him make yet. Now what do I do?

Just calling would pot-commit me, as there would be 3625 in the pot and my stack would be down to 1400. So calling is out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting out committed you. You put in 1/3 of your stack with the PFR + the flop bet. You have TP with a good kicker. Get ths chips in the middle, either by calling here and pushing or check/pushing the turn or by reraising all-in on the flop.

What other flop were you looking for? If you were raising here for value, you're only behind AK, AQ, A9 or a slowplayed AA, QQ, or lucky 99. If you can't commit with this flop and this action, then you should have just folded pre-flop or treated it completely as a steal hand.

Put the chips in the middle. It could easily be an AT that thought you missed with 77.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't u call? Seems to me, that if I am in fact committed to this hand, calling is fine. Then c/c the turn hopeing he'll get in in lighter than if you 3-bet the flop.