Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Re: [NL100] AJ Calling the turn

more on flop, checking turn is fine, 25ish on river
Old 11-26-2007, 12:38 PM

I dont think we ever have to fire the river when we miss against this opponent. If he checks behind we may even have the best hand, but he will normally be ahead of us.

I like doubling the turn because we have a good amount of equity, but we're not going to be able to profitably check-call normally.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:41 PM

bet more on flop
\c/c ont urn seems fine
river bet is ok migth fire 25
Old 11-26-2007, 12:43 PM

Given villain is passive he's likely to check a pretty big portion of his range. When he bets big we fold (this will be with hands we're not getting to fold with a bet anyway) and when he bets small we call (like in this case). I don't think we're having much folding equity because he won't fold Qx and most of his range turned pair+gs, pair+oesd or 2-pair. Just check and hope he gives us a free one which is pretty likely.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given villain is passive he's likely to check a pretty big portion of his range. When he bets big we fold (this will be with hands we're not getting to fold with a bet anyway) and when he bets small we call (like in this case). I don't think we're having much folding equity because he won't fold Qx and most of his range turned pair+gs, pair+oesd or 2-pair. Just check and hope he gives us a free one which is pretty likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 11-26-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think we ever have to fire the river when we miss against this opponent. If he checks behind we may even have the best hand, but he will normally be ahead of us.

I like doubling the turn because we have a good amount of equity, but we're not going to be able to profitably check-call normally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate not firing the river if we double-barrel. it's pretty obvious that the Villain has a mediocre hand if he calls our double barrel...the question whether he'll fold a mediocre hand on the river is something else. but the line u take should tell a story and the story you're telling with your double-barrel is that you have a monster and so u tell the ending of the story on tons of blank rivers.

ur right that we can't check-call alot of bets, but then why can we bet and get called? this doesn't make sense.

don't take this personally, but i think ur paying too much attention to the Hero's hand and not enough to the Villain's range for calling a flop bet.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:00 PM

I don’t like the double barrel on the turn. As mentioned above there are a lot of hands out there that call on the flop and can even raise you on the turn. What are you doing with your double gutter when you’r facing a big raise. Against KJ your are almost drawing dead.

But the main point is, if you make your straight on the river you can value bet and will get called by the hands that raise you on the turn (sets and 2 pair). At 100nl most player cant fold 2 pair or sets on a 4-straight board.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:44 PM

Paul, I dont take it personally. But I dont agree. The reason I say never fire a blank river is because IMO villan never folds anything. Which is also why valuebetting the river is so good when we do get there. Do you disagree?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ur right that we can't check-call alot of bets, but then why can we bet and get called? this doesn't make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

We bet on a semibluff. It kinda sucks that we got called, and that's not what we were hoping for, but we at least have outs.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We bet on a semibluff. It kinda sucks that we got called, and that's not what we were hoping for, but we at least have outs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Villain range on the flop is probably something like Q8+/T8+/KJ/J9. Which of these do you think he fold? Maybe he's sometimes making a crying call on the flop with a PP but that's the only hand he might have that will fold. Why semi-bluff a passive player when he's unlikely to fold and likely to give us a freecard with a decent portion of his range? That's the problem here, betting the turn isn't profitable without some real FE (at least not more profitable than checking).