Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Does a \"high-end\" putter make a difference?

I have been using a hand-me-down putter that my Dad used to play with for almost as long as I've been golfing seriously. It is a crappy, non-brand-name, generic, crappy putter.

However, I feel like I putt pretty well with it. I sink the majority of my putts inside 8-10 feet and rarely 3-putt, even for long putts. But the putter is definitely the "crappiest" club in my big--my irons are Taylor Mades, 5 years old, I hit mostly various Taylor Made woods and hit them well, no issues with those sticks.

But I'm at the point now where I'm shooting consistent mid-high 80's and I feel like if I could shave a few strokes here and there, I could finally break 80 on a good day, which I've never done on a "real" course (only ever did it on a par-66 course which I do not think counts at all).

At the same time, I feel like buying a new putter is a "dumb" investment in my golf game because putting is more about feel, and if I like how my current putter feels and I'm used to it, I don't know how a "better" putter is going to really improve my putting. It's not like a driver or somewhere where major technological improvements in club construction/etc. is going to make a huge difference, right?

So to those people who have gone from "good" to "great" golfers...what's your opinion?
Old 07-20-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Does a \"high-end\" putter make a difference?

With the number of putter styles out there, you may very well be able to find one that give you better feel and confidence. Whether it's really worth it is up to you. I'd at least head on down to your local course or golf megastore and try out a few.

I switched putters a few years ago. I went to Golfer's Warehouse and just started at one end of the line of putters. Picked up putter 1, compared it to putter 2, decided which I prefered, compared the winner to putter 3, rinse repeat. (I was there for about 2 hours)

Ended up with an Oddysey White Hot #5. Been pretty happy for a few years now.
Last night I happened to be in Golf Galaxy and tried out a few for kicks and could not believe how good they felt. If I thought I'd golf enough this year, I'd do it again.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:23 PM

Go with feel. If you like the feel/weight/ball striking of your current putter, I wouldn't switch it. Putting is so much mental that if you find something you like, stick with it.

On the other hand, putting with a Cameron is a sweet, sweet experience...
Old 07-20-2007, 04:56 PM

If you feel great with your current putter, don't change it. It doesn't sound like that you really have a problem there.

But on the other hand, there is nothing wrong in going to the local shop and try out their putters. You might find one that is just perfect.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, putting with a Cameron is a sweet, sweet experience...

[/ QUOTE ]
I've had two Scotty Camerons in the past (I have a 2 ball now) and I can say without any shred of doubt that they are not worth the price tag. They are certainly fine putters, and if you don't care about the money and like the feel you should definitely get one, but there is really no way to justify the price.

If you're comfortable with your current putter there's no reason to change. Anything can get the ball in the hole and your confidence is orders of magnitude more influential than any technological differences.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:27 PM

If you are serious about golf, a good putter is a must. It is going to be balanced properly, probably be softer, feel better, and probably get the ball rolling better as opposed to skidding.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are serious about golf, a good putter is a must. It is going to be balanced properly, probably be softer, feel better, and probably get the ball rolling better as opposed to skidding.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really disagree. I know great players (and putters) with no name cheap putters. It's all about what feels comfortable. I'm not saying you should not get a more expensive putter, but it's far from a must.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:42 PM

I agree if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I think there is a reason 99.9% of pro golfers are playing a quality putter. I think putting w/ most cheap putters (and a quality ball) is the same as with a pinnacle w/ a high end putter. It makes the ball feels like a rock coming off of it and I can't control the distance as well as a high end putter.

btw, I used a Ping Anser 2 for almost 10 years until a few years ago that I got from a friend for free, so I'm not saying you need the new latest and greatest cameron for 250$ every year.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I really disagree. I know great players (and putters) with no name cheap putters. It's all about what feels comfortable. I'm not saying you should not get a more expensive putter, but it's far from a must.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ Evan. I putted best when I was using a $25 from Sam's club, then i bought an expensive putter and sucked. Stole my brothers cheap putter and was better, got a new Never compromise and sucked, stole my brothers putter again.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I think there is a reason 99.9% of pro golfers are playing a quality putter. I think putting w/ most cheap putters (and a quality ball) is the same as with a pinnacle w/ a high end putter. It makes the ball feels like a rock coming off of it and I can't control the distance as well as a high end putter.

btw, I used a Ping Anser 2 for almost 10 years until a few years ago that I got from a friend for free, so I'm not saying you need the new latest and greatest cameron for 250$ every year.

[/ QUOTE ]
The "most pros do it" argument doesn't really hold up for me. Most pros use all kinds of equipment that would be lost on, or possibly even hold back, the average player. Shafts, clubheads, balls, etc.

Also, not being able to control the distance you putt a pinnacle or any other cheap ball must be a joke. It feels and sounds different, sure, but it's not like it's just rocketing off the club face with no control. I bet if you took the same stroke and hit a pinnacle and a pro v1 they'd end up +/-3% on distance (I have no data to back this up, just a guess).