Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: why does this forum care so much about religion

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
KKF -

He's probably talking about this thread, which he and BTIrish deemed "illogical" because you obviously don't agree with the Christian premise that people fundamentally deserve to be tortured forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Subfallen,
I didn't deem it illogical. I simply pointed out that all assertions in that thread were completely devoid of any logical framework. It's hard to be illogical when your only "proofs" of Christianity being absurd are blind assertions that don't even CONTAIN any logical arguments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's obvious that his conclusion follows logically from humanistic premises that humans have rights and deserve to be treated fairly.

As I demonstrated in that thread, the Christian alternative is the one that is mendacious and subsists entirely on special pleading.

Again, if you would care to continue debating that point, I would be delighted to expand on the foolishness of your point of view.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:22 PM

haha, here !

Jeez, why does this forum care so much about religion. I can't believe all these threads people start, ya know?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:27 PM

Lebowski,

Give you full credit for admitting your real motivation in starting religion threads. Most of the atheists here share your motivations, they are just more subtle about it. Basically, religion topics are started for the reason of bashing religion. Thats why I dont bother responding any more.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lebowski,

Give you full credit for admitting your real motivation in starting religion threads. Most of the atheists here share your motivations, they are just more subtle about it. Basically, religion topics are started for the reason of bashing religion. Thats why I dont bother responding any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bawk bawk bawk
Old 10-12-2007, 03:59 PM

Good question. I have come close, on several occasions, to making a similar post. Mine would have differed slightly, though, and would have been more general. I ask: why do people spend so much effort arguing and debating with people who are clearly not able to comprehend logic? There may be some who simply don't accept logic, and maybe, in their case, it's worth it to debate. However, there are clearly some who are unable to comprehend logic. Yet, many smart people spend a lot of time trying to make them understand, and it's a lesson in futility.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:08 PM

People like to beat up on easy targets.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:07 PM

I admit there's some truth to what you say. If you're a fan of logic (and like to debate), it can be fun to "rip" into the illogical arguments of theists. But there's another reason I think it's important to discuss this philosophical topic. Mainly, that the world would be a better place if everyone thought more logically when it came to religion and gods.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mainly, that the world would be a better place if everyone thought more logically when it came to religion and gods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:45 PM

Although I do thing religions involvement in these atrocities was a matter of conveniences for those seeking to wage war. The Crusades would have probaly happened without Christianity under another name I think.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can parse it and spin it as your agenda warrants, but the easiest living is found under the shade tree of Christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there might be some witches and inquisition victims who would disagree. But maybe trying to stay alive is an agenda?

To OP:

Some Christians listen.

A lot of religious people just plod through half heartily accepting what they've been taught. Forcing them to confront fallacies and logic, over and over, time and time again, DOES wear them down.

It did me.