Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: There is going to be a Baby Tall!! (Future and current Dad\'s thread)

Awesome stuff, Joe. So are you shooting for a boy or a girl?
Old 05-24-2007, 01:20 AM

Default Re: There is going to be a Baby Tall!! (Future and current Dad\'s thre

joe,

cool, man.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:33 PM

Anyone get Rickroll'd?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:57 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

Cool to hear Joe, congrats!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:29 PM

Congrats Joe!

If you don't mind could you say a little about how it happened? Obviously there was sex involved, but what I mean is was it planned? Had you been trying for awhile or just doing the off birth control, not really trying but not not trying thing?

Just curious because in the next year or two Mrs. L and I will probably be trying. Several years ago she said she wasn't even sure if she wanted kids but now when we go to the park she really likes watching the toddlers running around. I do to because they are cute of course but she REALLY seems to like it. Also since our friends are all late 20s - early 30s people she's had a couple very stereotypical conversations with other women who are married or in long-term relationships about having kids. I find it amusing and we have joked about it but I think it's a matter of time, and not much of it, before she says she wants one for real. I actually think it would be great, but I would rather wait a couple years. Problem there is that there is always some reason to wait and so waiting until everything is perfect isn't a good move.

Jared
Old 05-24-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: There is going to be a Baby Tall!! (Future and current Dad\'s thread)

congrats Joe! My son's a few months shy of 2 and my wife is preg again. I was NOT a kid-guy and I had no interest in kids. Things've obviously changed. Here's off the top of my head:

1. Your wife's pregnancy hormones may make her a little "off" for a while. Try and be understanding/accomodating if she has bouts unreasonableness and/or strangely emotionally charged reactions to things. She can't help herself.

2. try and keep in mind what it feels like when non-parents have to sit through enthusiastic parents telling sickeningly boring stories about babies doing completely routine things. you'll be one of those parents, so try and be considerate to the poor story-telling victim.

3. Reserve judgement of the fatherhood experience until AFTER the 1st 3 months. Women bond immediately and the cuteness thing for them is overwhelming immediately, but its different for men. Interaction is much bigger for us. Once they can smile and you can see them start to work things out in their little brains, you feel this ridiculous, indescribable sensation of pure joy well up inside you. Really, there's nothing like it.

4. Soak up and enjoy everything. It all goes by too fast and they'll change sooner than you are ready for them to.

All the best,
--oj.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:37 PM

Thank you everyone! I love the suggestions in this thread, keep them coming. Michelle is reading the thread and loves the gift suggestions too!

Thanks again,
Joe
Old 05-24-2007, 10:38 PM

JoeT-
Congrats- like everyone said, the best of times are coming!

A quick practical gift tip - for the shower etc, give each set of grandparents or other relatives an age range for clothes to buy (ie - your folks/siblings 0-3 mos, hers 3-6 mos, etc.) otherwise you'll likely end up with so much newborn stuff that your kid will never have to wear the same outfit twice, and in no time at all you'll be on the hook for a whole new wardrobe. Spacing out the gift range helps.

Also get one of these : day/night bottle warmer . Seriously, it's the best baby gear we have.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:26 PM

Congratulations!

My wife and I are expecting our second in September (we also have a 2.5 year old daughter). We just had second ultrasound, and having a boy this time (not that it matters - wouldn't trade my girl for anything).

Being a parent will change your life (but it's great). Get plenty of sleep now, cause you won't be getting much the first 6 months or so. Hope everything goes well - good luck.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:55 PM

Congratulations Joe.

I just found out that my wife was pregnant with our first child last friday. It's an odd feeling finding that out.

On a serious note, does anyone have any thoughts on testing the baby for Genetic/Birth Defects and the whatnot. I have heard it was possible, but I don't really have any more info that that. Can anyone shed some light on that sort of thing? Never thought I would be posting in a thread like this. This board is now like the 8th person to know. LOL, I need more friends...

C-Dog