Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: You wake up and... remember nothing about poker

1fineday, interesting post, some thoughts (as they come, in no particular order of importance)

1) Actually, this one is the single most important rule: preservation of capital as you start out, aka "bankroll management." If I could do one thing over, it would be to go back and stay the [censored] out of 10/20nl when my BR was only 10k or something. Only way to beat the game for the long-term is not to go broke in the short-term, and that's virtually guaranteed to happen if 20%+ of your BR is on the table at any given time.

...now that I've assured myself of surviving and staying in the game for the long-term, I can start thinking how to improve the fastest. To that end:

2) Sign up for CR's and take an hour/day to watch their videos and take quick notes while I'm at it, goes hand in hand w. reading/posting on 2p2. Limit to posting is 1 hand/day, beyond that you start becoming a nuisance.

3) ...then set a goal of #/hands per day I want to play - # of hands is a lot more important than actual $ amounts since those will fluctuate with variance and in the short run isn't really under your control anyway, while how many hands you put in is the actual money in the long run.

4) Debrief after completing a playing session: go back and look at HH's and try to spot my own and the regulars' leaks. Far more effective when you're away from the tables since you can be a lot more objective.

...I think if I started from the beginning and did these things - and it's really, really hard to do all of them consistently, it requires a lot more discipline than the majority of people (perhaps myself included) possess - you would rip through 25nl - 50nl within the first 2 months, and go from there. Ummm, yeah that's it for now.

Kirk
Old 11-29-2007, 08:40 PM

like lucid implied, what i think you're asking for, in a way, are the important realizations that you (the 2+2er) had along the way of their poker career, and then are hoping to realize these for yourself and shortcut the poker learning curve.

while this may be beneficial in a big-scheme-of-things way, answering your question works to cut corners, bypassing the inherent value of stumbling and realizing things for yourself by trying things out in your own way. what you're asking for is a copy of what the best players do, and then are hoping to recreate yourself in that form instead of building yourself up through the stumbling and learning process called grit. Grace without grit is different than grace through grit and here's why.

If you stumble along whatever path you're on, you will make mistakes that you will learn to correct. Now, as you learn from and pass these mistakes, you will see that others are making the same mistakes that you once made, and will be able to profit because these mistakes were exactly what you once did and thus can easily see them. Now, if you bypass this grit of mistaking and the learning that ensues from that, you will have more of a theoretical knowledge of the game instead of an experiential-based 'feel'. This 'feel', I'll argue, is what you're ultimately after whether you know it or not. It's similar to the difference between a computer playing poker and a human playing. A computer can simulate adjusting to ranges and such but it can't actually feel the subtleties of change in the dynamics of a game. You'd have to write a program for the computer that takes into account how if a player all of sudden starts playing a different style, like because of tilt, then you (computer) has to open up it's range or adjust somehow. stuff like that that is almost impossible to simulate, but a human, who is in tune with their 'feel' can do it quite easily. Subtle elegance, grace through grit. You don't wanna skip any steps IMO.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

what you're asking for is a copy of what the best players do, and then are hoping to recreate yourself in that form

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not exactly what I was thinking about when posting this thread. I think copying what the best players do and learning in the way they would learn if they had to do it for the second time are the good ways to improve in a fast and efficient way. I don't say I will not make mistakes, of course I will, but you agree that we all have so little time in our life and we want to use it in the most exiting and efficient way. So, I'm looking for the most efficient ways to learn poker.

When I started to learn it I found out I can do it in many ways. But I didn't find anywhere what way is the most efficient. Of course, it can be said that all people are different and each of them has it's own unique efficient way of doing things. This way may be good only for them and cannot be applied on another person. I agree with this but this is not a problem, it is even very good that we all have different ways to learn the world. And in case you haven't already found your our best way to progress, you can take things that fit you from different people who are successful and be successful in your own new way.

Thanks to your advices I have already registered at CR and now I'm going to make a good plan how exactly I should improve and learn to reach my goal( what % of time do A thing, what % of time do B, etc).

I am connected with NLP(Neuro-linguistic Programming) and it says that almost every genius can be copied, every person can achieve everything that other smart people achieve, but you have to find a way to do it and to find a good software and program for your brain that will make it work effectively.

I don't want to copy exactly any person on Earth. I just think that writing what you think is the most effective algorithm for learning poker can be VERY useful for all players who want to improve their game.

Thanks everybody for your answers, I really appreciate them.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

what you're asking for is a copy of what the best players do, and then are hoping to recreate yourself in that form

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not exactly what I was thinking about when posting this thread. I think copying what the best players do and learning in the way they would learn if they had to do it for the second time are the good ways to improve in a fast and efficient way. I don't say I will not make mistakes, of course I will, but you agree that we all have so little time in our life and we want to use it in the most exiting and efficient way. So, I'm looking for the most efficient ways to learn poker.

When I started to learn it I found out I can do it in many ways. But I didn't find anywhere what way is the most efficient. Of course, it can be said that all people are different and each of them has it's own unique efficient way of doing things. This way may be good only for them and cannot be applied on another person. I agree with this but this is not a problem, it is even very good that we all have different ways to learn the world. And in case you haven't already found your our best way to progress, you can take things that fit you from different people who are successful and be successful in your own new way.

Thanks to your advices I have already registered at CR and now I'm going to make a good plan how exactly I should improve and learn to reach my goal( what % of time do A thing, what % of time do B, etc).

I am connected with NLP(Neuro-linguistic Programming) and it says that almost every genius can be copied, every person can achieve everything that other smart people achieve, but you have to find a way to do it and to find a good software and program for your brain that will make it work effectively.

I don't want to copy exactly any person on Earth. I just think that writing what you think is the most effective algorithm for learning poker can be VERY useful for all players who want to improve their game.

Thanks everybody for your answers, I really appreciate them.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds good gl