Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Re: God helped Jerry Yang win WSOP!

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe Yang's win wasn't about Yang...God does like to display his power through the weak and the humble...Maybe God was just trying to let people know about the power of prayer...Yang just happened to be the man that could humble himself publicly so he was the recipient of the Lord's bounty via the WSOP winnings...hmmmm..very interesting idea...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, very interesting.

Reminds me of another inspiring moment in the history of God. If you were bored enough to catch one of the earlier seasons of "The Biggest Loser", you would have bee thrilled to see a fat woman from middle america who was completely lost... she just couldn't lose the weight. But God had a plan for her. God created the reality competition "The Biggest Loser" to help her. (according to her, this was God's plan for her.... He sure does work in mysterious ways.) Sure enough, she was picked as one of the candidates. God must have really loved her.

Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, she was the first one voted off. Seemed a really cruel trick for God to play on her.

Normally at the end of the season, all the past contestants come back on and show how much weight they'd continued to lose. Oddly enough, she's the only contestant I ever remember NOT appearing for the reunion show. All the other contestants showed up to be an inspiration for others in the same situation. But not the big woman who was part of God's plan... God works in mysterious ways.

On a similar note, the goofy christian radio show host "I'm not religious, I just have a relationship with Jesus" from survivor, after showing the world how naive she was, was ejected. God works in mysterious ways.

hmmmm..very interesting idea...
Old 10-15-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well Yang is a psychologist...If any person would know that the ego and inherent personality flaws can keep you from getting to an understanding of God...it would most probably be him...

[/ QUOTE ]
They teach about understanding God in psychology programs? Since when?

How do you know what would lead to an understanding of God when you do not have an understanding of him either?

Is it even possible for humans to have an understanding of such a concept?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:05 AM

Kurto's quote:God created the reality competition "The Biggest Loser" to help her

This was a man created show Kurto just like the WSOP is a man created competition...BTW, God isn't push button...he doesn't answer every prayer the way we think they should be answered...and Thank God for that...we don't know our own best interests as well as he does and we certainly can't see the future...

But sometimes it seems God likes to bless us and how he shows his power is up to him...Thats most people's problem. They want God to be their puppet, but if he was he wouldn't be God would he?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This was a man created show Kurto just like the WSOP is a man created competition...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't tell me. Tell the typical goofy Christian on the show who said it was God's doing for her benefit. I know that there is no God helping people win poker tournaments, football games, curing sickness, creating reality shows, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, God isn't push button...he doesn't answer every prayer the way we think they should be answered...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not according to all the people who insist that God helped them. Of course God doesn't answer prayers. Studies have shown there's no measureable differences when people are prayed for. And I think the amputees have shown that God isn't helping out the maimed.

[ QUOTE ]
and Thank God for that...

[/ QUOTE ] that would silly.

[ QUOTE ]
we don't know our own best interests as well as he does and we certainly can't see the future...

[/ QUOTE ] I hope you're referring to Zeus. For he sees and knows all.

[ QUOTE ]
But sometimes it seems God likes to bless us and how he shows his power is up to him...

[/ QUOTE ] And sometimes he just seems like a sadistic little joker who likes to kill small children. Oh God, we never know what kind of mood you're going to be in!

[ QUOTE ]
Thats most people's problem. They want God to be their puppet, but if he was he wouldn't be God would he?

[/ QUOTE ] God is really whatever you make him up to be.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kurto's quote:God created the reality competition "The Biggest Loser" to help her

This was a man created show Kurto just like the WSOP is a man created competition...BTW, God isn't push button...he doesn't answer every prayer the way we think they should be answered...and Thank God for that...we don't know our own best interests as well as he does and we certainly can't see the future...

But sometimes it seems God likes to bless us and how he shows his power is up to him...Thats most people's problem. They want God to be their puppet, but if he was he wouldn't be God would he?

[/ QUOTE ]

So you admit that sometimes it SEEMS like God blesses us. Do you also admit that sometimes it SEEMS like God curses us? And that you have no way of telling whether these occasions represent God ACTUALLY blessing or cursing us or it just SEEMING that way? I think we are making progress here. Sometimes it SEEMS like I am a really lucky guy. Then sometimes it doesn't.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:14 PM

Here is my original post:

Maybe Yang's win wasn't about Yang...God does like to display his power through the weak and the humble...Maybe God was just trying to let people know about the power of prayer...Yang just happened to be the man that could humble himself publicly so he was the recipient of the Lord's bounty via the WSOP winnings...hmmmm..very interesting idea

Please note I used the word MAYBE....I just chose to make my own positive speculative interpretation...A lot of people find it easier to make it through this world by believing in a just God.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, God isn't push button...he doesn't answer every prayer the way we think they should be answered...and Thank God for that...we don't know our own best interests as well as he does and we certainly can't see the future...

[/ QUOTE ]

How does God then work in these shows?

Let's some christians who won different reality shows-
Danni Boatright, winner of Survivor
[ QUOTE ]
but I was really hurting and praying for God's help," she remembers. "I endured only through the grace of God."

Danni insists that her win doesn't mean she's favored by God over anyone else. " I have no idea why He let me win; I just know He did ," she reflects.

[/ QUOTE ]

God decided who won... she had no part in it (nor any of the other players)

Uchenna & Joyce Agu: Running and Winning the 'Amazing Race'

[ QUOTE ]
But what they remember most is the presence of God in the midst of their trials and roadblocks. "Let go and let God (handle things)," they constantly reminded each other.
Uchenna [whose name appropriately means "God's will" or "God's plan"] kept saying, 'It's okay; we're not in control.' "

[/ QUOTE ]

They're simply reiterating what Danni said on the Survivor. Its not up to them or their actions. God is pulling the strings here. They're just along for the ride.

[ QUOTE ]
Again and again both Uchenna and Joyce felt that God was teaching them lessons in humility. During one stretch of the race in India, Joyce had her head shaved, a sacrifice that Uchenna believes was one of the turning points in the race.

[/ QUOTE ]

See... God orchestrated this. All so he could teach her humility by having her shave her head for an opportunity to win a million dollars. God works in mysterious ways.

[ QUOTE ]
In the midst of difficulties like these, God's miracles were abundant. At one point, Joyce and Uchenna were told there were no more flights to Miami. Uchenna remembers the airplane leaving without them: "But then something got into that pilot's heart to get him to turn the plane around and reopen the door."

When the jet came back, Joyce says she thought she was going to faint. "I actually looked up and said, 'Thank you, God. This is a miracle.'"

[/ QUOTE ]

If its one of God's miracles then God must be interacting in the game. Clearly, after putting her through such a trying experience of shaving her head (God does like to test people), having past God's test; He was going to part the red seas or at least make a pilot turn a plane around to make sure that this couple won a million dollars. Reality shows are just another tool God has to test people.

[ QUOTE ]
"The money was huge for rebuilding our lives," Joyce says. "But more important than that, we learned a priceless lesson: If you do what is right, God takes care of you."

[/ QUOTE ]

True... if you do the right thing, God will fix reality competitions. I guess the other players didn't do right by God?

SOURCE: CHRISTIANITY TODAY
Old 10-15-2007, 12:25 PM

I did a quick skim of your article Kurto and I'm not sure what you're not understanding about it...It seems like they are testifying to the way they feel the Lord moves in their lives...Testifying is a two way street...sometimes the person hearing the testimony will be affected and sometimes it helps the person testifying, and it could help both...There are multiple levels involved in this process...You could only go back and re-read what they say for themselves and maybe you'll get it...Most of them look like they felt they had positive spiritual experiences...
Old 10-15-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did a quick skim of your article Kurto and I'm not sure what you're not understanding about it...It seems like they are testifying to the way they feel the Lord moves in their lives...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not misunderstanding anything. Yes, the lord moves in their lives. The Lord fixes Reality shows for them. They outright admitted it.

[ QUOTE ]
Most of them look like they felt they had positive spiritual experiences...

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they had positive spiritual experiences. God gave them a million bucks each! Its the other people I'm concerned about. The ones who gave it their all but just couldn't win because God decides who wins. Merit and effort mean nothing... its just a matter of who God lets win.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:37 PM

Kurto how do you know the other people didn't win...It seems like you are using some materialistic standard to judge a winner...Read the bible...you'll see that God tests people all the time and rewards are not always by way of money...That's one of the main themes of Christianity by the way...