Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 10:03 AM

Default OOT Sleep Experts: What kind of mattress do you have?

I'm not sleeping very well recently. It typically takes me 30 minutes to an hour to finally get to sleep when I go to bed. I toss and turn a lot, and often wake up sporadically during the night. Even worse, I sometimes have a minor ache in my back. The main suspect: my piece of [censored] bed.

This bed was bought from Ikea a few years ago, and features a frame and a $300 mattress. I also put a 2 inch memory foam on top of it, but this basically does nothing. I'm just not that comfortable when I sleep.

I am seriously considering buying a new mattress, but had a few questions...

For all you lucky folk who get at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night, what type of mattress do you sleep on? Any good suggestions? I'm a noob when it comes to bed-related stuff, but prefer a soft but not too soft mattress.

Can I get a really good mattress for ~$500, or will I have to pay much more? FYI, I only need a mattress, not a frame or box spring or anything. Recently, I stayed in a Heavenly Bed at the Westin and never slept better. Looking online though, I'll have to pay north of $1200 for one of these babies. Is it worth the investment?

Anybody have a Tempurpedic? Once again, expensive as hell, but perhaps worth it? I hear you sweat a lot in these things as well.

This would be a full size bed, btw. Thanks duders.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Re: OOT Sleep Experts: What kind of mattress do you have?

[ QUOTE ]
Recently, I stayed in a Heavenly Bed at the Westin and never slept better. Looking online though, I'll have to pay north of $1200 for one of these babies. Is it worth the investment?

[/ QUOTE ]

see this thread on fatwallet discussing this bed and the current sale.

I went with the consensus and bought a Queen plush bed + separate featherbed for $750 delivered. I haven't received it yet, but I think this should be a great deal.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 AM

I'm glad you made this thread because 'Chair and I have been having the exact same issues. We also have a standard crappy mattress with memory foam topper.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:19 AM

I purchased a Kingsdown plush from Sleepy's about 2 weeks ago. I have back issues and so far the mattress is perfect for me. Of course, I am a 39 year old guy who has needs a softer bed.

We went to the store 4 different times and spent 10-20 minutes on each mattress that we were considering. You aren't going to make the right the decision spending 2-3 minutes on 15 different mattresses. Just go knowing you will be there a while and slowly narrow down the range. Then come back in a couple of days and narrow it further. Finally, come back one final time before deciding.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:30 AM

Sleepnumber beds for my wife and me. We had terrible nights sleeping with an old bed. I was starting to get terrible chest cramps with the way I was sleeping. I would wake up almost crying I was in so much pain.

We bought this bed and have had no issues since then. Terrific bed, and it's great cause they allow each person to make their side whatever they want.

Things you think would be problems but aren't:
1) Problems with the two halves being uneven. I have a much lower number than my wife, and while I notice a little difference in it, it's not uncomfortable at all if I'm rolling from one side to the other.
2) Doin' the nasty. No issues at all, don't even notice the difference in the sides. Even if your two numbers are that different, just set them to the same number before hand.

- C -
Old 08-22-2007, 10:34 AM

if you like sleep or spend at least 7 hours a night doing it you need a temprupedic pillow.100%NEED NOW. YOU WILL THANK ME.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:34 AM

sealy pocket coil (correct comfort), i got a firm one

iunno if they still sell em

a good bed is worth triple what you paid for it
Old 08-22-2007, 10:42 AM

I bought a Chattham & Wells Eurotop Cal King about 2 years ago for $1,800 and think it was one of the best purchases I ever made.

The only way to shop for mattresses is to go to big mattress stores and start laying down on them all til you find one you like.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I bought a Chattham & Wells Eurotop Cal King about 2 years ago for $1,800 and think it was one of the best purchases I ever made.

The only way to shop for mattresses is to go to big mattress stores and start laying down on them all til you find one you like.

[/ QUOTE ]

or even better, buy one from a hotel you have spent nights in [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

for instance you can buy the beds they have at Bellagio, and as I said above the Westin/W hotels.

lying down in the store is definitely good, but you won't really know if it's a good fit until you spend a couple of nights on it.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 AM

When Mrs DD and I first got married we bought a really nice "pillow top" fluffy mattress. Very comfortable... but within a couple of months, my back was killing me.

So we went to the Mattress Firm and I said I wanted the firmest mattress they had.

Took maybe one night to get used to, now I sleep better than I ever have, and no back pain.