Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Turn Checkraise, River Bet

Juiced up table. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the SB. A very loose player limps early. Folded to a solid player who raises in the cut-off. Back to me, I three-bet, loose player insta-calls and the cut-off caps. I call, loose player calls. Three of us to the flop.

Flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check, loose player checks, cut-off bets, I raise. Now the loose player three-bets and the cut-off caps. I call and the loose player calls.

The turn is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check, loose player checks and the cut-off bets. I raise. Loose player calls cold after debating whether he's capable of laying his hand down or not. Cut-off folds.

The river bricks off. I bet. Thoughts on all streets?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-22-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Turn Checkraise, River Bet

The preflop and flop seem like no brainers.

I'd probably just call the turn bet hoping to improve. The cutoff played his hand like a flush draw, and I'd hate to have to pay a lot to hit a flush on the river.

In light of the turn play, I agree with the river bet. If the loose player hesitated on the turn, he probably didn't have a draw (if he had a draw, I'd want to check to induce a bluff). Based on the loose player's turn action, I'd say there's no risk of a river raise, and since you're going to have to call a river bet, you might as well bet yourself.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:27 PM

Jeff,

I'm trying to understand you reasoning for the turn c/r. I'm guessing it has to do with the overlay you get from the loose player, combined with protection the 3rd diamond gives you from a 3b if the CO has a set. However, for that reasoning to work, the loose player has to be really loose, and even then it seems thin given the chance that you are behind one of them. Plus CO will fold KK/QQ, whereas you might get another bet out of him if you just call.

River bet seems correct given your read that he was not drawing.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:37 PM

Why are we pushing the CO out on the turn?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are we pushing the CO out on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually doesn't the turn C/R attempt to push out UTG(holding a possible open ender) and collect extra bets from CO.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:37 PM

I think this hand was played well.

The loose early player checking the turn makes it unlikely he has a flush. He probably has a 9 with a decent kicker and once it gets bet and raised back to him he wants to find out where he is at. Once the cutoff reraises he knows.
But then again, why didn't he bet the flop?

He could easily have two pair since he is loose and may have slowed down because of the flush.

The reason for the turn check-raise is to make both players pay for whatever they are drawing to. The pot is big so protecting your hand is the most important thing here even though you may be behind to the early limper.

My gut tells me to check the river here. You have played your hand strongly on every street which may have slowed ep down.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:49 PM

After further review, I think you are definatley beat here by EP. I just check-call river although I think your opponent is going to check behind and then show you two pair.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:59 PM

I can't imagine playing this any differently in a juiced up game. Check/calling the turn here would be way too weak and leaving money on the table, plus EP could have many weird draws that need to be charged and you should have CO beat almost every time. River is good because once he got there, well you know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-22-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine playing this any differently in a juiced up game. Check/calling the turn here would be way too weak and leaving money on the table, plus EP could have many weird draws that need to be charged and you should have CO beat almost every time. River is good because once he got there, well you know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I was thinking. Every street looks completely standard. I too cannot imagine taking a different line at any stage of this hand.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:52 AM

At the time i thought that turn CR was perfect but after a bit of thinking i am not so sure. That player is sort of loose for a reason. He reads hands and players really well and plays post flop pretty good. He will never call this raise with anything that have 5 outs on you and will fold a lot of hands that you want him to call. But once again at the time that hand was played i thought that CR was great.