Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: Help ItalianFX Choose
Lindsey 29 22.83%
Brittany 11 8.66%
Lindsay 52 40.94%
Renee 35 27.56%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Poll: best way to determine NCAA Div I Football National Champion?

[ QUOTE ]
I can't paste URLs when on the road but if someone can repaste the story I posted last night, its pretty interesting. The internet sports books make USC a solid favorite if we had a playoff, with OSU or LSU second.

[/ QUOTE ]

They had Georgia and KU at 16:1 while USC was 2:1. Sounds like a big joke to me.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:11 PM

I wish Colt Brennan could stay at Hawaii bc i want to see him in action against Tebow and hang 60 on their ass. Of course Uf would win80-60 due to Hawaii and lack of defense.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I hate the BCS is, that in the best possible situation (clear cut #1 and #2), then it "works fine". However, it isn't needed in this case. Who needs the computers to tell you who the obvious #1 and #2 are? In all other situations, especially this year, it's up for debate.

There should be drastic changes, every "major" conference needs a championship game. So get more teams in the Big East and Big 10 and get everyone a championship game. The winners of those get auto bid to the playoff. This completely smashes the lame argument that the regular season is so meaningful now and would be ruined by a playoff. Last I checked, NCAAB regular season is still important and intense. Teams chasing a playoff spot in fb would want to win every game obviously. There would still be rivalries. I'm not sure how people can make the "regular season would be diminished with a playoff" argument.

Every game isn't ultra-important, just because a team loses early and it knocks them out of the BCS #1 race doesn't make every other game meaningless. Michigan lost 2 to start the year, and still played hard and won 8 in a row, this is why a playoff would be great, teams who start slow but finish well could and should be considered championship contenders. Also teams need to stop playing Divison 2 teams, it's a huge waste of time, either the team wins easily or they somehow lose and are just humiliated.

Sort of reminds me of the whole "Tim Tebow shouldn't win the Heisman, he's only a Soph." argument I sometimes hear. Why does age or class even have a factor in this? If no one that young has won it before, maybe they weren't mature enough to take on tough college competition. Tebow has been all season and deserves the award. I think him being a Soph actually should help his cause, but I haven't heard anyone say that.

[/ QUOTE ]

DING DING DING
Old 11-29-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Four team playoff. No more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]Completely agree. I can't believe how many times I've seen proposals for a 16-team playoff. Sorry, the #16 team shouldn't have any chance to win the national championship.

4 teams solves most of the BCS problems and has the "benefit" of maintaining the remaining bowls.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I hate the BCS is, that in the best possible situation (clear cut #1 and #2), then it "works fine". However, it isn't needed in this case. Who needs the computers to tell you who the obvious #1 and #2 are?

[/ QUOTE ]The BCS isn't JUST about the computers. It's also about allowing the #1 and #2 teams to play each other in a bowl game. Before the BCS #1 vs. #2 was fairly rare. And the two years just before the BCS started, one of the top 2 teams was a Pac-10 or Big 10 team that couldn't play the other team because of the Rose Bowl tie-in. (1996: FSU and ASU, 1997: Nebraska and Michigan).
Old 11-29-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I meant to say I'd love for tOSU to play Hawaii.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell the coach/AD to schedule them home/home in the future. Since they are paper tigers. Road game in Hawaii doesn't even count against the '12 game' limit. Hawaii was even giving a $750,000 guaranteed payout to visitors.

Guess Akron, Youngstown St, and Kent St are enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

750k vs $5 million... hmmm.

Anyway, we traveled to Washington this year, who was good when we scheduled them (too bad they fell apart since then). Even as the worst Pac-10 team, they might actually beat the Rainbow Warriors. And rather than play in an environment with baboons for fans, we are going to go to USC next year. Oh no!
Old 11-29-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Official argue about all dumb things BCS and CFB playoff thread

I fully support a 4 team playoff.

This would keep the regular season very important, losing a single game puts you in jeopardy of missing the playoff, and losing two eliminates you 99% of the time.

We already have a 2 team playoff so expanding it to 4 is a less dramatic step than to a larger number.

And as others have pointed out, you are playing for #1 so #5 really has no business complaining. They WILL of course complain, but to hell with them.

Expanding the playoff to including too many teams (8 or even some people say 16) is just far too many. It would make the regular season much less important. You would have many two loss and even three loss teams making it every year. Also the preseason polls (which are a load of crap and should be abolished) would decide which 2-3 loss teams actually made it, as there are MANY 2-3 loss teams at the end of the year.

Also - Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force talks about the BCS
Old 11-29-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell the coach/AD to schedule them home/home in the future. Since they are paper tigers. Road game in Hawaii doesn't even count against the '12 game' limit. Hawaii was even giving a $750,000 guaranteed payout to visitors.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$5 million as in "if we go to Hawaii we might lose and get knocked out of the NC game"?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Official argue about all dumb things BCS and CFB playoff thread

Easiest way to implement a 4 team playoff would be to just reseed the BCS after the Jan 1 bowls and let the top 2 play the NC game. The top 4 teams would have to win their game and its not like a team that just lost its bowl game would ever play the NC game.

The advantage of this is that it keeps the existing powers happy. The NC game is owned by the other BCS bowls so you wouldn't be taking any money out of their pocket and it keeps the schools and alumni happy because it preserves the existing bowl structure.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$5 million as in "if we go to Hawaii we might lose and get knocked out of the NC game"?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Each home game for Ohio State generates about $5M. Even going to the NC game doesn't generate $5M for Ohio State.