Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 11-28-2007, 04:28 PM

Default muscle memory

is it true that muscle has memory? If so, how long does it last? In other words, if I put on 20 pounds of muscle but it was 10 yrs ago and now im no longer buff, will I quickly put back on those 20 pounds? When we gain muscle mass from lifting, is it the muscle fibers increase in number or size?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: muscle memory

i don't know much about this, but muscle memory was mentioned in the physique transformation articles by CThib on t-nation monday and yesterday...
Old 11-28-2007, 05:03 PM

I don't know too much either but from what I've read I think that it's the neural paths being memorized in your brain. In other words, the pattern of doing certain movements is memorized by your brain. This applies in several ways. Your body becomes as efficient as possible if you keep doing the same routine, in other words it will use as little energy/muscle fiber to do the same motion. It will also make the movement easier (hence "practice makes perfect"). This has to do with building myelin (an electric insulator) around the axons of the neurons.

I don't really know how muscle memory applies to your question. It may not apply at all, I'm not sure.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:06 PM

I have no idea if u're right but that sounds like it can't be the main reason if it is indeed true that someone can put on 20 pounds of muscle faster if they had dones so in the past.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea if u're right but that sounds like it can't be the main reason if it is indeed true that someone can put on 20 pounds of muscle faster if they had dones so in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think when people say the term "muscsle memory", they are referring to what mr keeper is saying above, not putting on muscle.

What happens when you take time off from something, then come back to it? Your strength increases quicker than it would have if you had never done the movement/skill.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:08 PM

As others in the thread have stated, muscle memory is about learning certain movement patterns (e.g. martial arts techniques, the olympic lifts ect) through repetion. It is not related to being able to regain 'lost' muscle faster then when you first gained the muscle (although I feel this does happen, it is not related to muscle memory).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory
Old 11-29-2007, 02:38 AM

Muscle memory is also a term used to regain lost muscle at an extreme rate due to atrophy. There are people who have gained like 20, 30, 40 even 50 pounds due to this "phenomenon"
It MAINLY has to do with the stretching of the fascia. There are other factors too such as neurological, # of muscle fibers etc. I dont think there ever has been a study on it but from personal experience and those of others it DOES exists.
Sorry I couldnt go in depth but Im sure you can find more information about it

To your original question, I think 10 years is much too long especially for only 20 pounds. The connective tissue binding your muscle fibers together would have shrunken back to their original state / adapted to the size of what they are currently