Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 04:04 PM

Default I look like a TOTAL idiot and don\'t adjust... standard

I was in an out-of-town 20-40 game that was CRAZY. Game had a 40-80 kill. In several pots people would open fold out of turn so that the previous winner could win an uncontested pot just to make the next pot a kill... like I said it was crazy.

Furthermore... in several kill pots... people were blind raising to 80, then re-blind three beating to 120... I already got snapped by capping these three blinds hands with KJ suited... flopping top pair, and betting it all the way for value... only to get snapped by some weird / blind draw. Oh well.

Anyways, I'm the youngest guy in the game and had a monster hit and run session the night before. I also have a loud mouth... so everyone hates me (for the most part).

Anyways, in about the first 6 orbits at the table I pick up JJ, AK, AQ, AJ, 99 ( basically a plethora of good starting hands). Unfortunately I miss every damn flop and have to fold most turns when it's two bets cold to me and I'm obviously beat.

So now I look like a raise / tilt monkey and need to learn how to manage my image / adjust my game. Of course I didn't adjust, continued to jam drawing hands and naked over cards on non scary boards... as expected I got called down by VERY mediocre holdings and got spanked for a couple grand.

This isn't really meant to be a bad beat vent session... I just need help in adjusting my live game when I'm running particularly bad.

Please HELP 2+2
Old 11-17-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: I look like a TOTAL idiot and don\'t adjust... standard

example of hand I didn't adjust for...

Folded to Button who raises.

I 3 bet in SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB calls... he's descent but has already told me during a previous hand that he is calling me down with "anything".

Flop

Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, BB raises, Button folds, I 3-bet, BB caps.

Turn

4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, BB raises, I call.

River

9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Check, check.

I feel like I never should have donked the turn. 0% I'm not getting raised here. Bad play by me.

Turns out the guy had QJ and would have NEVER but in 4 bets or raised the turn against any preflop bettor but me...
Old 11-17-2007, 04:21 PM

Here is one hand I feel I OVER-adjusted for. I got into the frame of mind that since I was getting over-played and called down light... I should push even more marginal situations. Whoops, that back-fired too.

Folded to me... I raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Button calls, BB calls.

Flop 9 7 4 rainbow.

SB bets, I raise, button 3-bets, SB folds, I cap.

Turn is a 2 (still rainbow).

I bet, button raises, I 3-bet, button caps.

River 7

I check call...

HORRID? STANDARD?
Old 11-17-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I feel like I never should have donked the turn. 0% I'm not getting raised here. Bad play by me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-17-2007, 04:25 PM

That happened to me recently, albeit in 10-20 game. And it does happen on a regular basis. Sometimes its just not your day -- you get trash, when you finally dealt good you fail to connect, if you do hit the flop you are outdrawn anyway, while your own draws never get there.

There are 2 options. Call it a day and leave accepting a loss when its still small. That is much easier said then done but some people have enough discipline to do it.

Second option is to stay, especially if you feel you still have an edge. Hopefully you learn something for future reference about these opponents. I usually stay, but tighten my preflop standards basically falling back on starting hands that can win w/out improvement. That would be JJ+. I also stop jamming draws and pushing small edges. That is definitely not the best way to play poker, but if you played 3 hands in the next hour showing down premium holdings every time, better players stop calling you with trash and you can slowly move your game towards optimal.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Second option is to stay, especially if you feel you still have an edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I start talking to myself about my game, I rarely(NEVER) have an edge anymore. Better to quit and think it over (or ask 2p2) off the table.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:31 PM

The only way to counter that image the you cultivated early on is to tighten up and make the next hand you showdown a premium holding. As for the two hands I don't think you are out of line betting the turn in the first hand, even with your image. In the second hand even though everyone thinks you are a maniac I don't a player is going to pound you that badly on the flop and then lead out the turn with anything you beat. I would have just called down on the turn if for no other reason than to show the table you were betting TPTK.