Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Turn Checkraise, River Bet

[ QUOTE ]

I think the play is fine, but can also see keeping the loose player in on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's almost no way that's right. the pot is big. the time to win it is now now now.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:53 AM

Super standard. For those asking why we want to push anyone out on the turn the answer is simple. We usually have the best hand and we have the best draw but we only have one pair. The pot is enormous and now is the time to play hard and maximize our chance of winning. I am much more concerned that the loose player turns up 33 or 66 and says "I was afraid of the flush" than I am of the solid guy who capped preflop from the CO. I seriously doubt he ever has 99 when Jeffage comes 3 bombing out of the SB. Since we have the Ad it is pretty much impossible for him to have a flush. When the loose player debates folding the turn I think the likelihood of him having a set approaches zero unless he is super retarded. Therefore our river value bet is easy. I think solid had QQ or JJ and loosie has something like Kd9.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the play is fine, but can also see keeping the loose player in on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

there's almost no way that's right. the pot is big. the time to win it is now now now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was typing this in my other post at the same time. He almost always has a 2-5 out hand and I am happy to have him release in a pot this size.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:18 AM

I like the c/r better.

1. CO likely has a big pair and will bet if checked to. CO is also worried about Jeff's big pair and may just call (or fold [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]) if we bet.
2. If checked to CO will most likely bet to protect his hand, specially if he does not have a flush card and can laydown to a c/r.
3. The loose player has some sort of draw (assuming we are ahead) and we want to punish that the best way to do it is with the c/r.
4. There are few free cards that beat us if the loose player has a hand that he should be laying down. If the loose player has a straight draw we do risk giving him a free card.

The danger of the c/r is that a good c/o may decide to see the river for free if he has a big of flush card(lets say he has KK) which could be the correct play for him.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why can't CO have 99?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd think CO's pf range to cap is AK-JJ+. I don't think Jeff is 3 betting 88 from the SB there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I forgot CO was described as solid. NM my original question.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:49 PM

i don't like that turn play at all.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 AM

This was my reasoning - I think an overpair is pretty likely for the cutoff.

Jeff
Old 07-25-2007, 12:13 AM

If I check, won't he bet two pair if that's what he has? If I bet the river, what percentage of the time will I be called by a worse hand?

Not that I'm capable of check-folding really, but if I check, what hands will he bet that I beat? He'll know I'm not folding so he'll only bet if he correctly puts me on my hand and can beat it. I guess he'll make a bluff now and again - so is the river a check-call or bet?

Jeff
Old 07-25-2007, 12:18 AM

I was thinking along the same lines.

Jeff
Old 07-25-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am much more concerned that the loose player turns up 33 or 66 and says "I was afraid of the flush" than I am of the solid guy who capped preflop from the CO. I seriously doubt he ever has 99 when Jeffage comes 3 bombing out of the SB. Since we have the Ad it is pretty much impossible for him to have a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post - I agree with your logic. Though, I did get a bad feeling after the loose player coldcalled that I was beat and he was afraid of the mortal lock. But I think with the big pot and the situation, I still like my turn play.

Jeff