Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Applicability of Stox\'s book to mid-level, live LHE (no play conte

jfk's posts in this thread are excellent and accurate.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:04 AM

...and greatly appreciated- as are all of the posters who took the time to consider what I was asking and offer their invaluable insights.

Thank you so very much gents.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're exactly spot-on jfk. My question was really directed at bad lobster, though. I thought he was making the assertion that, if the pot had gotten folded around to me in HJ (or similar position) that stox's "playbook" would therefore apply.

Is that correct lobster?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah--does anyone else concur?
Old 07-14-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're exactly spot-on jfk. My question was really directed at bad lobster, though. I thought he was making the assertion that, if the pot had gotten folded around to me in HJ (or similar position) that stox's "playbook" would therefore apply.

Is that correct lobster?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, not in the live games I play in (40/80), I am seeing at least two, often three, players to the flop, so for example, 44 is seeing the much from the HJ. (assuming 44 is in Stoxs list here.)
Old 07-14-2007, 02:11 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

In live play you can have much more detailed reads and make much larger good deviations from the play book.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it makes less sense to push certain small edges early as bigger edges may be available and apparent post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

Why worry about squeezing an extra 2 cents from Q8s on the button, when they will be drawing to 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 outers and presenting you with lots of money on the flop, turn and river.

But, Stox's book is a valuable read anyway.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Is that correct lobster?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, not in the live games I play in (40/80), I am seeing at least two, often three, players to the flop, so for example, 44 is seeing the much from the HJ. (assuming 44 is in Stoxs list here.)

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. For pocket pairs Stox's open raising starts with 22 on the button and increases by one for each spot you move away from the button.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it makes less sense to push certain small edges early as bigger edges may be available and apparent post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

Why worry about squeezing an extra 2 cents from Q8s on the button, when they will be drawing to 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 outers and presenting you with lots of money on the flop, turn and river.

But, Stox's book is a valuable read anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying to toss Q8s? Cause thats a pretty standard raise for me otb. Blind stealing works much better live b/c people chop all the time and don't feel comfortable playing in the blinds. Toss in position and the fact that can outplay them postflop and I'm looking to get in with as many hands as possible against your standard 15/30, 20/40 live guy
Old 07-14-2007, 11:58 AM

I don't see a really good reason to play tigher than stox advocates in late position. You can fold the worst hands of you range that don't have showdownvalue (87o or something like that), but why wouldn't play a hand in position against a bad opponent that is probably holding a worse hand? Some say 'they always call down', so punishing then by valuebetting a lot and taking freecards when you can't beat A-high. If you can't make money with raising Q8s or something like that against a bad playing big blind that plays ATC you need to work on your game.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Is that correct lobster?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. For pocket pairs Stox's open raising starts with 22 on the button and increases by one for each spot you move away from the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have yet to read the book but live games I reserve the higher RIO hands like baby pairs(22-44) for the button only here and ramp up my aggression with suited-connectors (multiway hands), since it's rarely HU.