Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 04:16 AM

Default Improving Service Academy Football

I've considered starting this thread for a long time, but Navy's landmark win over ND seems to be the perfect time. There's a number of reasons that quality Academy teams are important for the college football landscape. First is the great tradition. Army dominated college football in the 1940's led by Heisman winners "Mr Outside" Glenn Davis and "Mr Inside" Doc Blanchard. Navy's had its share of powerful teams, including the 1963 juggernaut led by Roger Staubach. Air Force has terrorized the WAC for much of the 80's and 90's. Army/Navy is possibly the most pure rivalry in all of sports, but the quality of teams playing does make a difference. Watching the 1996 game where the winner recieved an Independence Bowl birth had a level of excitement not seen when a couple of 3-8 teams meet.

Academy Football, though lacking the pure atheletes of the SEC, is characterized by great execution, hard work, discipline, and few mistakes. It's refreshing watching guys playing for love of the game and not worrying if your QB is on a booster's payroll. However, Army and Air Force have struggled to surpass the 8 or so wins Navy has earned the past few seasons. Army's last winning season was my plebe year in 1996. Air Force's results, while better than Army's, have also been unspectacular.

There's a lot of knowledgeable college football fans on this forum that I'd like to pose this question: What steps can these schools take to improve their programs? I recommend using Navy as the modern standard for Academy football success: 7-8 wins and a minor bowl game appearance.

Among issues for discussion are reducing/eliminating service obligations for athletes with professional potential, ideal coaching candidates, recruiting, and weakening schedule strength.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Improving Service Academy Football

If you were a top 500 athlete why on earth would you go to a service academy instead of some random state school? Provide an answer other than "because you want to serve your country" or all that random propaganda bs and maybe these schools will be good at football again one day. Actually I think it's amazing they win as many games as they do.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:11 AM

They can't have 300+ lb linemen. This alone puts them at a ridiculous disadvantage.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:49 AM

Schedule Notre Dame more than once a season.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:17 PM

Haji,

I think getting a full-ride to a university with that much prestige academically does help. Not everyone coming out of HS is assuming they are going to the NFL and might actually put academics ahead of athletics. These individuals could choose to play at a service academy instead, as long as they are also willing to put up with the rigorous off-field activities.

Kyle,

This is correct to a point. The offenses they run do take advantage of the agility of linemen though. The ability to control the time of possesion the way that Navy does actually sets them up for a possibility of an upset more so than the bottom feeders of each conference. But having linemen struggling to keep their weight up at 265+ leads to strong DL's kicking the ass of the SAs OL's.

Also, do these schools have anywhere near the same lifting schedules that top tier schools do?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:20 PM

If they were actually serious about fielding a good football team, they could actually put some effort into recruiting. I think their entire roster is made up of walk-ons. Of course, they won't because the Service Academies don't care a ton about winning football games.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they were actually serious about fielding a good football team, they could actually put some effort into recruiting. I think their entire roster is made up of walk-ons.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way Navy's team is just walk-ons.

As for waiving service obligations - that seems like an aristocratic idea for places that emphasize service and commitment. 1-2 more wins every year isn't worth that kind of preferential treatment where there's supposed to be none.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think getting a full-ride to a university with that much prestige academically does help. Not everyone coming out of HS is assuming they are going to the NFL and might actually put academics ahead of athletics. These individuals could choose to play at a service academy instead, as long as they are also willing to put up with the rigorous off-field activities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Five years in the Navy/Army/Marines after graduation is a bit of a negative for a lot of kids who put academics above NFL.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Five years in the Navy/Army/Marines after graduation is a bit of a negative for a lot of kids who put academics above NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Navy is only 2 years.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Navy is only 2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when?