Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2006, 11:41 AM

Default Re: College v. Pro

[ QUOTE ]
Buchanon

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that Phillip Buchanon? He's awful. He doesn't even know how to tackle.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:15 PM

Your friends are retarded. It's not close.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:59 PM

Yes, the caveat to this scenario is that it has to be teams from the same era. I don't think it's possible, for all the reasons people have already mentioned. The point about the lineman is a good one, and one I didn't even think about last night. With that kind of size differential, there is just no way any college team could compete.

Summary: Friends are retards.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:18 PM

It's not close as all the posts have said. One thing is that the game on the pro level is just much faster because everybody at a given position is real fast and quick. All the players say it is a huge transition coming from collge to the pros because it is like going from driving 65 to driving 125 or something. Sure, size of the linemen matter, but think of the slow college 325 pound lineman who doesn't make the pros compared to a quick 325 pounder with great footwork. I remember seeing this NFL lineman at a golf tournament. He blocked out the sun it seemed like since he was about 6'7" and 340-350. I figured he could really move because he was pretty lean and had kind of skinny legs - not the Nebraska linemans' legs that touch to the knees as they say. No, they wanted him to work on footwork and quickness I think. He made it as a pro (I don't know if he still plays or if he is out of the league, etc...) but never became a star or anything. He would easily be the best lineman on a college team with the exception of the first round draft types scattered out there.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:41 PM

Not a chance.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With that said, I would say the biggest difference would be the size of the lines...avg college lines are considerably lighter than NFL and they would be punished throughout an entire game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. Take a look at the lines of any major college team. You will see many 300+ pounders. I think the difference is the speed, not the size. That being said, I do not disagree that is would be unlikely for any college team to be able to beat an NFL team. However, it wouldn't be out of the question.

I am guessing a bad NFL team would be a 14 or so point favorite over a great college team like Texas or USC of last year. But, you see 14 point dogs win on occasion.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Surely there's one college team in history that could have beaten the 0-14 Buccaneers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not likely. Realize that the miserable Bucs team, though miserable and the worst in the league is still chalk full of first rounders at every position, not only that but experience, size and strength. That Miami team in 02' was great but I just don't see them beating a team of a guys that were ALL top draft picks and have been in the league for years.

With that said, I would say the biggest difference would be the size of the lines...avg college lines are considerably lighter than NFL and they would be punished throughout an entire game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only all top draft picks, but usually all college all-americans. The pros are the elite of college. Add experience to those all americans and they would be absolute monster players if they were back in college. Pro is a much faster game than college. As most college players realize upon stepping onto the pro practice field for the first time.

Not to mention, college is restricted on practice times to where pros are relentless.

b
Old 07-23-2006, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not only all top draft picks, but usually all college all-americans. The pros are the elite of college. Add experience to those all americans and they would be absolute monster players if they were back in college. Pro is a much faster game than college. As most college players realize upon stepping onto the pro practice field for the first time.

Not to mention, college is restricted on practice times to where pros are relentless.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but have you watched a lot of NFL games? I have been watching Detroit Lions games for years and watched many guys who couldn't catch a pass when it hit them between the numbers. I've watched guys fumble without being hit etc...and I've seen some of the worst coaching and poorest fundamentals possible. Even with all those college all-americans and extra practice time, I've seen them play ungodly sh***ty football.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:59 PM

Assuming college teams can only play pro teams from their own era, I don't think there has ever been a college team that would be favored over a pro team.

Of course, as mentioned before, huge underdogs do win on very rare occasions, so it's not like a one-in-a-billion shot.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:46 PM

Theres no way that a college team comes close to beating a pro team. Every player in a pro team was a star in college. The pro team will be more experienced, faster, stronger, and bigger.