Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Illinois Illini mascot to make final appearance tonight

Chief Illiniwek's last dance

The mascot has been deemed offensive to Native Americans by either Native Americans or supporters of Native Americans.

I am about as non-politically correct as anyone, but this is one PC cause I kinda agree with. It is unthinkable that we would have teams named the "Alabama Blacks" or the "New York Jews," but we still have teams named after Indians.

There is something vaguely (or perhaps clearly) offensive about a white kid from the suburbs dressing up in buckskin and doing an Indian dance, I think.

I might feel differently if I rooted for an Indian team, and I know this causes a long-standing tradition come to an end (Chief Illiniwek has been around for 81 years, according to the article).

But I do think it's time to stop having teams named after Indians. This is a step in the right direction.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Illinois Illini mascot to make final appearance tonight

Does it matter that the Seminole tribe backs FSU and sees it as an honor that the school would want their teams named after them?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:29 PM

except for the white settlers of Illinois didn't oppress the Illini--your analogy is very incorrect and highlights the real reason the chief is leaving. People from the outside project their racist view on the situation.

the Illini are a part of my history and my state. It's very superficial to just lump them in with native americans.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:32 PM

I don't have a dog in this fight, so I'd love to hear arguments from both sides.

I don't really think the Indian mascots are a problem because of oppression of Indians in the past... I just think it's offensive to name a team after a racial group.

MT2R, why is the analogy wrong? Why is my view "racist" ? Or superficial?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't have a dog in this fight, so I'd love to hear arguments from both sides.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been done to death already.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does it matter that the Seminole tribe backs FSU and sees it as an honor that the school would want their teams named after them?

[/ QUOTE ]

How much money is FSU giving them?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:41 PM

its funny, I thought you were on the correct side of the argument when you started saying things like, "It is unthinkable that we would have teams named the "Alabama Blacks" or the "New York Jews,"" As yes, there is no comparison btwn the New York Jews and the Fighting Illini. Teams are named after Indian tribes or Indians in general out of respect and perceived toughness - that isn't a bad thing. Do you have a problem with the New York Yankees, NE Patriots, LA Dodgers, SD Padres, Texas Rangers, UMASS minutemen, WV Mountaineers, etc? All these teams are named after a small grouping of the regions inhabitants out of respect for that grouping. It is equally commendable to name a team after a respected Indian tribe from the region, is it not?

PS I have no idea why the San Diegoians decided to name themselves after spanish missionaries.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you understand. The Indian tribe, the Seminoles, consider it a sign of respect that FSU would choose to name their sports teams after them.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they buy a bunch of stuff from them, but it's not like the tribe really needs it. I think they're one of the richest tribes in the country, if not the richest. They just bought Hard Rock. I think it was last year some group decided it was offensive to them, despite their own feelings on the matter, and filed a lawsuit. To me when you tell someone they're too stupid to know what should be offensive to them, you're the one being a bigot.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:44 PM

I grew up cheering for the Miami (Ohio) Redskins and later went to that university, and after that was a play-by-play announcer for them.

the Miami tribe in Oklahoma changed their minds about their official 'approval' of the nickname and decided that they were kind of bothered by it.
In 1997 they changed the nickname to RedHawks amidst much contraversy amongst the sports-fans and athletics-boosters.
But I think it was about time.

They also got rid of the Chief Miami mascot guy who would do his Miami Indian dance in the end-zone. Somewhat similar to the Illini mascot I am guessing.

Lots of fans pulled their contributions or cancelled their season-tickets.
Time helped get a lot of those fans back but you would still hear some, "GO REDSKINS!!" really loud from some old-school guy in the stands.
Wally Szczerbiak leading the team to the Sweet 16 in 99 and then Ben Roethlesberger leading Miami to a conference championship, bowl-win and 13-1 record in 2003 helped win back even more of those fans.