Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Iso push here feels weird

Fair enough. I'm going to post results because they are of some import, even though I think I'm pushing AQo with my stack most of the time in these spots, barring something unreasonable:

Villain1 one showed AKo, which lay in a small range which includes 99+ and AJo+ (and not much else), given his [censored] retarted raise.

Villain2 snap called my shove and Villain1's all-in call with 44. After he won the hand, he shared with us a cocktail of fine limp raise-calls, miniraises into 3-way pots, with A9o being my best hand in the next 2 hours. But that's BS, I just wanted to use the word "cocktail."

I knew Villain1 was going to call my push and I would be behind more often than not; in fact, there are spots like this where I feel that folding is OK, but I'm still trying to work it out. Whtaever the case, Villain2's call gave me such nice overlay to push and a combo of AJo/A10 and mid pairs between the two of them, even if they both called, made the play reasonable.

Barry
Old 07-27-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This whole 2500 idea, to a bad player, may be interpreted as really weak and he may think he has FE and push with a small pair (like 33 or 44) which he would fold otherwise. I'm looking to fold out 33, 44, 55 here but, get AJo and A10 to call.

Now, here is a question of stylistics (lol): In the hand, I push for 15.2K (whatever I had), the player in BB had 2.3K, so no biggy from that front. Is this better or worse than raising to 4K (Villain2's amount) in terms of psychology. And why?

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

I just always shove rather than play the leveling game of "now what does that funny raise size or overbet shove mean?"

If you know which level your opponent is liable to think on and what you want him to do, by all means use that to your advantage (and either raise to cover or shove). Most often I have no clue about what level my opponents think on, so I just shove no matter what.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:51 PM

The size of the bb's stack matters far more than most posters seemed to realize since several people advocated shoving before you said the bb was at 2.3k. With a short-stacked bb, I just shove. If the bb has a similar sized stack to me, I make it 2500 and jam any flop if V2 just flat-calls and obviously call his reraise pf if he makes one.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Villain1 one showed AKo, which lay in a small range which includes 99+ and AJo+ (and not much else), given his [censored] retarted raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure why you think it's an unreasonable raise. Seems well within the normal range to me.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:00 PM

Psychologically speaking I like raising the size of their stack. Bad players who think they are crafty take it as a challenge to their manhood and playing ability, as if you are personally calling them out.