Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 11:05 PM

Default How to Beat a 2-5 Game with $100 max Buyin?

Guys, this is all we have available to us in the Tampa area, and I've been giving this a ton of thought but I really want us to hash this out and talk about an ideal solid strategy to play this game. I personally hate this structure and think it's borderline unbeatable playing "poker." It's loose aggresive and a 4x raise will be called by 4-5 players everytime. Sounds Juicy eh? The problem is the schooling factor.

The only way I can really think of how to play this game with the least amount of variance is playing AA KK AK and even QQ is borderline. Raise 6-7x and push the flop if no overcards come or you hit top pair with AK. And the caveat to that strategy is, the blinds will probably eat you away before you get one of these hands.

Even set mining with med pairs is unprofitable if you only have $100 and the pot is raised 4x preflop. You can only play 5 of these pairs and miss before your out, and you'll only hit 1-8 times. So your gonna have to be running good to score a big win when playing this short.

Thoughts? I know this structure is a joke, but I would like some dialogue on this. Most of these games are loose aggresive and raised 4x preflop with 4-5 callers preflop.

Anyone disagree with my basic strategy on this? Discuss Please. The only reason I'd consider playing this at all, is because the players are just decent to downright horrible and a lot of gambling junkies.
The game has very few good players attempting to play this, due to the variance.

Thoughts?
Old 11-28-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: How to Beat a 2-5 Game with $100 max Buyin?

i live in tampa, its way ez (but boring/ not worthwhile $ wise) to beat but you should post this in micro NL instead
Old 11-29-2007, 12:02 AM

Hi hammerhead,

I play 5/10 (even crazier) with a 100 max buyin in Flagler's Miami, so I know what you're talking about. First, let me assure you that the game is VERY beatable. It sounds like you're being too tight/scared due to the absence of postflop poker; i.e, calling QQ a "borderline" hand. Remember, the aim is not to reduce variance, but to increase profit margin/winrate. With the action junkies playing those games, TT+ and AK can *definitely* be played profitably from UTG; you'll be amazed at the times AK will win UI. Other people have no concept of adjusting their ranges to hands with high AIPF value.

As for set mining, I agree that it is unprofitable, and definitely do not do it myself when I play 2/5.

Quickfetus

Edit: Feel free to pm
Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 AM

Finally a thread were IMSA can help [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]