Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 03:50 AM

Default How would you play it?

1/2 NL with a full table. The table is generally showing good cards but many players are chasing draws regardless of the odds. Player 1 (loose and fast) raises 2 spots off the bb to $15. He had been raising about 20% of pots preflop. The player to my right calls $15. I get QQ and raise to $50. A relatively inexperienced player on my left calls the $50. He picked up quads and backed into a full house a few hands earlier so he's got a good number of chips. The player on the button calls after some deliberation, the initial raiser folds and the player to my right calls after stating he is getting good enough odds. There is now $200 in the pot.

4 players to the flop. It comes 8 5 3 rainbow and player 1 checks. I have $185 after my preflop raise. My thinking is there are 3 plays. Check, All in, or some sort of small bet. If I check, I'm allowing any AK to take a free one or let another small pair hit a set. I didn't like that choice.

Option 2, Any small bet will give everyone odds to call and if an A or K comes on the turn I'm gonna be pot stuck and have to make a tough lay down or be priced into calling while an overcard is on the board. I didn't like that either

Option 3, (which is what I took) was all in for $185. The player to my left calls and shows AA. The player on the button folds JJ and the player to my right folds his unknown cards.

Now I could just chalk it up to running into aces but while I was aware someone could have picked up AA or KK especially with the smooth call to my left but being in the position I was in, I couldn't check and let someone peel off an Ace or a King. So was my play correct?
Old 08-18-2007, 04:49 AM

Default Re: How would you play it?

Not a lot you can do. It's live so you can develop more detailed reads, so if you felt strongly enough that the guy had a monster I guess you could try to get away, but you'd have to be SURE.

Yah, as played you have no choice but to shove. If you bet like 100 you're completely commited anyways, so betting anything less than a shove is pointless and bad.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:51 AM

probably
Old 08-18-2007, 05:23 AM

you neglected to mention option 4: open fold (if your that good)
actually though in a loosish sounding live game when the "inexperienced player" on your left smooth calls its really hard to give him AA or KK and you cant bet less than all-in without comitting. I'm pushing there and im probably more worried about the [censored] who hit his set then i am AA