Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Straight vs a Possible Flush

I'm confused about this hand. I feel like I horribly misplayed it throughout but, I'm not really sure what I would do differently. The other question is whether I should be calling the shove on the river. I have no read on the villain as he just sat.

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

MP: $24.75
CO: $6.45
Hero (BTN): $33.95
SB: $63.50
BB: $3.30
UTG: $22.10

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $1</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $1, 2 folds

Flop: ($2.35) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2

Turn: ($6.35) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $3.90</font>, UTG calls $3.90

River: ($14.15) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $15.20 and is All-In</font>
Old 11-09-2007, 03:55 AM

Default Re: Straight vs a Possible Flush

I think preflop is marginal, the main problem being that if you flop a K or J (which would ordinarily be good for your hand), you'll often make an expensive second-best.

The flop is fine. The turn seems okay, with the only real question of course being how much to bet.

On the river, I would call, I guess, but I'm not confident this is best. The problem is that even when you don't lose to AJ or a flush, you're frequently going to chop. So the odds you're getting are not as good as they appear -- if the best you could ever hope for is a chop, then you'd be calling $15.20 to salavage $7.07 (your half of the pot that was built by the preflop thru turn action). And I'm not sure that's enough, but I'd imagine you will win the whole pot occasionally versus a rivered two pair or set.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:56 AM

He can also have a higher straight and a Jack chops it. You can only beat a bluff and tie most of the time IMO. Sick river. Fold.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:28 AM

As played, with as little money as you've committed I think you can fold this, I agree with vixticator that you're really only beating a bluff, and his play is consistent with a hand that made a normal c-bet, decided to call your turn bet when it picked up more outs, and then hit the river and is trying to represent a bluff.

I also agree with Nick that calling an UTG raiser pre-flop with KJs is marginal. I'd rather 3-bet or fold, and probably leaning towards a fold unless UTG is raising a decent amount of hands.

I was thinking about raising this flop, and maybe there is still an argument for it, but with position against an UTG raiser where you have no idea how much FE to expect (or how loose his UTG range is), it might be better just to peel, since there is a chance you will be able to check behind a blank turn anyway. I think the turn bet is OK, although with the redraws out there you might bet a little more.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:51 PM

I thin preflop is fine (I'm folding KJo) if you have an idea of how he plays post, and are prepared to bluff on favourable flops. Also not going mad when we make TP, and being IP helps here.

I bet turn a lot higher, board is very drawy. River I can find a fold, you're calling to chop at best most of the time.