Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 08:44 AM

Default Theory Post: Dealing with Calling Stations.

I've been thinking about this issue of how to play against calling stations... the problem with playing against them is that they keep limping and calling preflop raises with junk so there's little point in raising SCs and small PPs against them because there is no fold equity, unlike when u are playing against a table with VPIP of 20%.

but when the table average has a VPIP of like 50%, i've been thinking about how to play against them and i think the way to do this is to be extremely loose on the CO/BTN so i've been limping with stuff like J8o, J7o, T6o, 58o, 92s, because these loose passive calling stations keep limping up front with trash.

i do this to catch straights or flushes and value bet value bet value bet because these donks just don't fold... they call with their gut shots, their 2nd pairs, their ace pair with trash kicker etc.

what do u guys think of this strategy
Old 05-08-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Theory Post: Dealing with Calling Stations.

I can write this theory post in about 2 words:

Value bet
Old 05-08-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i've been limping with stuff like J8o, J7o, T6o, 58o, 92s,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fine as long as you don't get married to your hand when you hit TPNK, etc. Also, you want to make sure your calling station(s) is(are) guaranteed to be in the hand before you bleed off yours chips with these types of hands.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:46 AM

You shouldn't be raising SCs and small PPs against calling stations for fold equity preflop, you should be doing so to grow the pot with a hand that is ahead of the range with which they will call. Raising preflop against this type of opponent should serve to help you get their stack when you connect by the river. The multiplier effect of the preflop pot size is a big factor on how fast you can stack a calling station. I raise SCs against stations in position relentlessly because it has the effect of increasing your implied odds. Raise preflop, then take them to valuetown on all streets when you connect. You'll get their stack very quickly this way.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i've been limping with stuff like J8o, J7o, T6o, 58o, 92s,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fine as long as you don't get married to your hand when you hit TPNK, etc. Also, you want to make sure your calling station(s) is(are) guaranteed to be in the hand before you bleed off yours chips with these types of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your plan with limping these junk hands? Because you won't flop the best hand very often, so you're in the same situation of trying to steal pots from calling stations. At least by raising PF you get represent a stronger hand.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Value bet

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFQFQFQFQFQFT
Old 05-08-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can write this theory post in about 2 words:

Value bet

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. This isn't rocket science.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:09 PM

"What is your plan with limping these junk hands? Because you won't flop the best hand very often, so you're in the same situation of trying to steal pots from calling stations. At least by raising PF you get represent a stronger hand. "

well the thing about these loose passive guys is that they give lots of free cards. they also let u know when they have nothing by check check check. and also they make big mistakes on the river. like straight over straight. or straight over 2 pair. or flush over straight. they also limp their premiums like AA and KK!

so basically the idea is to beat them postflop

the problem with raising preflop with these weak hands is they are going to call you anyway so u are putting money in with the worst hand. then u try to take it doen on the flop with a c-bet and when u have nothing then they call your c-bet and then u keep donating money to them.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:04 PM

You raise PF because your hand is likely better then theirs. You also raise because you have position. And to isolate the calling station from the other players.

I agree that if they'll never fold POST FLOP with any kind of hit or draw, then you can limp with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]...

You can also vary your betsize with calling stations (most won't notice)... bet a little more for value... bet a little less with semi-bluffs.... (beware of the non-calling stations in the hand)

Honestly- if you punish a calling station with some very expensive value bets... they might call less. Then you can bluff more. (or break them)
Old 05-08-2007, 04:07 PM

"I agree that if they'll never fold POST FLOP with any kind of hit or draw"

precisely! some of these guys just don't know how to fold!!! they'll go to the felt with just 1 pair! lol