Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:37 PM

Default need moving up advice: $25NL ----> $50NL

I've finally got a roll where I can take shots at $50NL, and can hopefully move up permanetly soon. I play on stars, and one thing I've noticed is there is definetly a lot more aggression at $50NL than at $25NL. I get played back at more when stealing blinds, get floated more, raised on later streets more, etc. and I've had some difficulty adjusting. what would you advise for playing in games like these? I've been a small winner @ $50NL for the short while I played it (about 10k hands) but I want to get my winrate up above 2PTBB/100. I read the link in the uNL sticky, but I didn't think it was much help here, as the games have changed quite a bit over the last 6-12 months.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: need moving up advice: $25NL ----> $50NL

I had most sucess when I tried those stakes when I just played my normal game. Don't let the higher stakes scare you. I was told to start tight but this just lost me money. Just plunge in and play your best game.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:29 PM

to be honest i don't really like the idea of 'taking shots' i prefer sticking at a limit until u can really crush it. this ensures that u will have a sufficiently big roll (like 25 buy ins) by the time u try moving up to the next level and that u have sufficient experience and skill to be in the middle 3rd of the players at the table. (3rd or 4th best)

other wise when u take shots u are on average 4th or 5th best (the 6th is the absolute fish who plays for like 40 hands and loses his stack) player at a 6 max table and ur bankroll can't really take a significant hit and u have to drop down.

as for improving your winrate at 50NL well u just need to play another like 20k hands and incorporate new concepts into your play by that time i'm sure your win rate will increase substantially.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:35 PM

Holla ... everytime you move up, the aggression goes up a notch. There is not much advice to give.

You hand reading will be slightly off at first, and your own bluffing frequencies and aggression needs no be turned up slightly, but if you just log a nice chunk of hands, this usually happens automatically [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2007, 02:47 PM

yeah, I think it'll just take some getting used too. I logged in about 700 hands of $50NL, won two buy-ins, I've just realized I have to get used to the new standard $50NL lines. seems like you have to give re-raises just a little less credit, and people position bet more, which has to be adjusted.

inspir3d, I disagree with your talk about not taking shots, I think it's a good thing to take shots, as most people here would agree. I doesn't make much sense to me to one day go from 9-tabling NL25 to 9-tabling NL50. I like gradually moving up, like playing 3 of NL50 and 6 of NL25 earlier today, then I bumped it up to 5 of 50 and 4 of 25. I'll probably just start playing strictly NL50 in the next few days, as long as variance is nice.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:07 PM

Personally I hate mixing limits, as they play slightly different and also I hate typing different betsized across tables

But what I wanted to say is, that as long as you don't mind moving down and perhaps not making any profit for a while, then shottaking is a very good way of improving your game. Dynamics increase each time you move up, and staying at the same level will not teach you how to deal with it.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:10 PM

Play like you do NL$25, dont psych yourself out of it.

Players suck just like they do at NL25.

Lol although i played Party NL$50 today and the ammount of 3betting going on is unreal, although i was 33/25 with ATTtoSteal of 60% so maybe thats why yoo?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:59 PM

"I doesn't make much sense to me to one day go from 9-tabling NL25 to 9-tabling NL50"

nobody asked u to do this... lol

and i think if u're 9 tabling u can't really improve ur game as rapidly because you're just playing mechanically. it's impossible to really get into the heads of your opponents and make adjustments to maximise your winrate.

in the short run playing a massive number of tables can be more profitable but in the longer run your game improves slower. and believe me, when u make the right adjustments your winrate is much much higher than playing mechanically.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:07 PM

Try not to overthink it, I assume you use HUD, just play every player based on his stats/history/position, the 50 game is really not that tough, its the mentality of moving up thats the biggest obstacle, try to ignor the money and think of everytrhing in terms of BB's
Old 05-09-2007, 02:58 AM

I would use HUD, but it doesn't work w/ vista [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Closed Thread