Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 10:31 PM

Default Re: England out, what now for the FA?

Since we've moved into discussing the nature of the England squad itself, I'm going to copy/paste a post of mine in the England BBV4Life thread.

I'll try to address some of the players (a different poster) mentioned.

With all due respect to Beckham (a fantastic player and leader), his international career is clearly finished. SWP is not a worldclass player by any means, so you're back to the drawing board in terms of finding a right-sided player.

Crouch, despite finding the target with remarkable proficiency for England (all you can ask, really) wouldn't make it onto a world class national team.

Carrick is a fine player, but nowhere near the league of Mascherano, Xavi, or Pirlo, players who man his position for true top class national teams. (FWIW, each of their teams has at least one other defensive midfielder who would walk into the England XI). The same is true of Gareth Barry, who would obviously not find his way into the Argentinian/Italian/Spanish national teams.

Rooney: Part of why he plays so well for United is the foreign legion at his disposal. Receiving service from Ronaldo, Giggs and company must be a nice thing. His struggles scoring for the national team even when fit are well documented, no need to rehash them here.

Also, you can't simply brush off the lack of a world-class keeper or any depth up front. These are things that top class teams generally have, that you do not.

Finally, your contention that the Premiership is the best league in the world is also debatable. Certainly in terms of heaviness at the top, I can agree. But all around? Compare the teams you send to the UEFA Cup with those from La Liga. Blackburn? Middlesborough? We all remember what happened in the final two years ago. The Spanish middleweights are worlds apart. Unfashionable Villareal almost found themselves in the Champions League Final, for crying out loud!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:35 PM

Show me the part where I say England are massively better

I said that England INDIVIDUALLY are much more talented but as a team they sucked and were mismanaged. England has some World class players at our disposal and yet we failed to go through a group that compared to others was weak

I'll give Croatia their due. They were much better and played us off the pitch and were the better team no doubt
Old 11-21-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since we've moved into discussing the nature of the England squad itself, I'm going to copy/paste a post of mine in the England BBV4Life thread.

I'll try to address some of the players (a different poster) mentioned.

With all due respect to Beckham (a fantastic player and leader), his international career is clearly finished. SWP is not a worldclass player by any means, so you're back to the drawing board in terms of finding a right-sided player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lennon, Bentley?

[ QUOTE ]
Crouch, despite finding the target with remarkable proficiency for England (all you can ask, really) wouldn't make it onto a world class national team.

[/ QUOTE ]

When Rooney and Owen are fit???? He wont be near the team.

[ QUOTE ]
Carrick is a fine player, but nowhere near the league of Mascherano, Xavi, or Pirlo, players who man his position for true top class national teams. (FWIW, each of their teams has at least one other defensive midfielder who would walk into the England XI). The same is true of Gareth Barry, who would obviously not find his way into the Argentinian/Italian/Spanish national teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Carrick or Hargreaves had started, we wouldn't had lost -DUCY?

[ QUOTE ]
Rooney: Part of why he plays so well for United is the foreign legion at his disposal. Receiving service from Ronaldo, Giggs and company must be a nice thing. His struggles scoring for the national team even when fit are well documented, no need to rehash them here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, you can't simply brush off the lack of a world-class keeper or any depth up front. These are things that top class teams generally have, that you do not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, what to do?

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, your contention that the Premiership is the best league in the world is also debatable. Certainly in terms of heaviness at the top, I can agree. But all around? Compare the teams you send to the UEFA Cup with those from La Liga. Blackburn? Middlesborough? We all remember what happened in the final two years ago. The Spanish middleweights are worlds apart. Unfashionable Villareal almost found themselves in the Champions League Final, for crying out loud!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are obviously have selective memory. How many EPL teams were in the ECL semi finals last year? I agree that the EPL may not be the strongest league (i.e La Liga) but it is definitely stronger than any other league.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2007, 11:19 PM

Lennon and Bentley: Absolutely nowhere near the level of right wingers in world class national teams.

Re Defoe: Fair point, but other teams have far deeper strikeforces nonetheless.

Re Carrick or Hargreaves: Ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the fact remains that they would hardly find their way into an Argentina, Italy, or Spain XI.

Re the ECL: Don't get me wrong, I agree. In terms of talent at the top, the EPL is the strongest league. I'm not trying to slight it. Just pointing out that in terms of all around depth, La Liga easily bests it. The Villareal example was merely designed to help show that.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:40 PM

Yes, you said that England individually are much more talented. Which is an ultra retarded thing to say.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mourinho far and away the best choice. Not close imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mourinho has said he would only managed Portugal.

Guus Hiddink is the man for the job.

[/ QUOTE ]
Guus had publicly stated several times that he will work with Russia until 2010
Old 11-22-2007, 04:14 AM

No way Wenger or Fergie ever go coach a national team.

Why not Capello?

Also, English players are overrated. Perhaps your team isn't as good as you think it is.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:53 AM

I'm not sure I understand quicks post... are you implying that Rooney isn't the best England as to offer and he wouldn't be part of most other national teams?
Old 11-22-2007, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol I meant obv superior in terms of individual talent ie. Rooney, Gerrard, Terry, Ferdinand etc etc. None of the Russia or Croatia players are World Class but are very good (obv) and England had a massive advantage in terms of pure talent available

Its weird with Jol because some managers are much better as Club managers than National one (Eriksson being the obvious example). I think Jol would only work as either the Holland manager or a club team.

I think if England wait until after Euro they can have either Hiddink or Scolari and either oneof those would probably be the best choice for advancing England further in terms of international success

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd say the Russians and Croatians are less overrated. But that's just me.
Srsly, If you are English and can somewhat play you're bound to make a bundle simply because the PL is full of international players but wants to pretend to still be English at the core.
Then they are surprised if they "underperform"

Still sad to not see England at the Euros because it's always fun to have them around and English fans are fun (- the morons but they exist for every nation). On the other hand I'm quite happy to see Russia will be playing at the Euros. They had good teams over the last years but always lacked discipline imo and I think if they play to their full potential they'll be exciting to watch.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The day a Scot is the England manager is the day I eat my own face

[/ QUOTE ]

IF YOU WANT TO WIN A MAJOR CHAMPIONSHIP THE FIRST ATTITUDE YOU NEED TO ELIMINATE IS THE ABOVE. THE NATIONALITY OF A MANAGER IS 100% IRRELEVANT. JUST GET THE BEST MAN FOR THE [censored] JOB. NOT THE BEST ENGLISHMAN. HE CAN BE SCOTTISH, WELSH, IRISH, FRENCH OR WHATEVER NATIONALITY WOULD ANNOY YOU. IT DOESN'T MATTER A [censored] IF HE WINS.

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]