Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Melinda vs. Lakisha - thoughts

There have been a few good performances this week, virtually all from the women, but so far if you're rating singing ability Melinda and Lakisha are far ahead of the rest. Here is my comparision of the two:

Singing - voice: if M & L can pick their own genre, for one song, Wednesday night showed that's pretty close. I would still give a slight edge to Melinda for a somewhat better tone, and some people (as confirmed on this board) are put off by Lakisha's big voice. Edge: Slight Melinda

Singing - technique: Both have been very, very solid; no examples of rhythm or pitch problems from either, and they are both experienced and trained to the point that I don't expect any. Edge: Tie

Stage presence: Lakisha owns the stage, Melinda needs to gain confidence. Edge: Lakisha

Theme nights: Once they get to the final twelve, it's theme night time. Lakisha has training in opera and classical singing, which will help overall. I still see theme nights as Lakisha's big danger in AI - there is not yet any way to really know if she can shine as brightly outside of big belting R&B. Melinda's experience in background singing (if it's anything like being a studio musician) requires her to be able to adapt to a wide range of songs and styles, and she should be able to succesfully handle anything from country to Elvis to ballads. Edge: Melinda

In-studio intangibles: Both are very popular with the judges, though Simon did say that Lakisha was in a league of her own and his opinions carry weight. If he keeps that up, it will certainly help Lakisha. Melinda will probably get along better with the band (notice that she has acknowledged them on air), but I don't think this will make a difference. Edge: Possible slight Lakisha (if Simon continues with his comments)

Ability to connect with the voters: Both seem like sincerely nice people with virtually no arrogance - neither will get voted against because of their personality unless something drastic changes. Lakisha has a good story if she and the producers don't overplay her child to the point where people get tired of it. Melinda's "background singer moving to the front" is a nice back-story as well. While it should not matter, Lakisha's looks won't get her any votes - but Melinda isn't going to get hoards of men tuning in to the show either. Edge: Tie

Overall: Very slight edge to Melinda I think the ability to adapt to theme nights is the deciding factor.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Melinda vs. Lakisha - thoughts

great post.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:22 PM

I too think that Melinda is the best singer in the competition. I somehow feel that Lakisha will win though. I strongly feel that one of the two will win.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I too think that Melinda is the best singer in the competition. I somehow feel that Lakisha will win though. I strongly feel that one of the two will win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just rewatched Girls Night performances... it's really close imo and I can't tell. I mentioned in that thread Lakisha had better range, but it's possible Doolittle has overall better tone. I know Joker hates Lakisha's "big" voice but I think to your avg. viewer it's a coinflip.

Analyst also made a great point about Doolittle's adapatablity, being a background singer (also just great post all around, thanks for it), but we have seen Lakisha do ballads and I believe she hit it out of the park.

That being said I think stage presence will come into play. Doolittle is a weird hunchy troll and while she's very endearing she does not scream "your next American Idol" to me. Wonder if it's kind of an act and we're gonna see her start to take command of the stage.

I think the "closeness" of the top 2 candidates makes a different type of singer (e.g. Richardson) possibly stand out and shine even more from a voting perspective.

-Al
Old 02-24-2007, 12:19 AM

After the pretty poor first night with the guys, none of them is getting any attention. I have a feeling we'll see 1 or 2 emerge as strong competitors with Melinda and Lakisha. I can't see this thing being Melinda and Lakisha all the way.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:38 AM

Analyst, that was an excellent post.

I have replayed both singers' week 1 performances a number of times, and I am amazed at Melinda's voice and control.

One thing you will see on AI-- most are amateurs, and don't know what to do with their hands, or are uncomfortable with how to move around. Not so with Melinda, who has years of backup singer choreography. I thought she really stood out with her stage presence. She also knew where the camera was. That showed me something, since many contestants are too overwhelmed to also know where the camera is. Lakisha is also real, real comfortable on stage. She is a ham, in fact, but in a good way.
Lakisha deserved her rave reviews. She has a beautiful voice,and put her heart in the song. I was surprised at the easy way she shifted from belting to soft. She may be even better than we saw and heard. My hesitation in giving her the edge is that I doubt she can match Melinda week after week. Melinda appears to be the consummate pro. A slip or 2 by Lakisha may be all the opening Melinda needs. And since the price on Melinda is currently available at +450 to +500, I will wager on Melinda gradually getting to the lead and holding on.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:31 PM

good analysis, but not sure how it correlates to how actually wins. Of the 5 idols so far, I would argue that the best singer among the final 6 has won once.

Also, I don't believe both Melinda and Lakisha will even make the top 6. There are too many women with the same sound divided up votes.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After the pretty poor first night with the guys, none of them is getting any attention. I have a feeling we'll see 1 or 2 emerge as strong competitors with Melinda and Lakisha. I can't see this thing being Melinda and Lakisha all the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, just don't think any of them will win. I liked Blake's performance a lot, but I think he was a bit lucky and won't be able to do it on a weekly basis. Chris will do ok and may have a few good performances where he shoots up like a rocket, but eventually his lack of comparative singing ability will stop him.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:26 PM

moneyshot,

I think there is an argument to be made for at least a few of the winners being the best singer, even though it is extremely subjective.

Carrie, Kelly, and even Fantasia could be argued FOR (All 3 have been nominated for Grammy Awards....at least 2 have won). Clay and Reuben both good singers, just depends on what you like.

You may be right that Melinda does not make top 6, since she is older and not "hot" looking. But she has serious singing talent-- as good as anyone to ever be on AI. Betting against a terrific singer is not the road to riches.
It is tough to determine the winner on this show. Lots of unknowns and unknowables. But I think Brandon is worth a shot now at 20-1. He has talent (otherwise, he would not be singing backup to some stars), and his price is down due to one bad week. I don't know if he will straighten it out, but he has little downside and great upside.

I bet Melinda early at an excellent price, and I still think she has value at +400 or more. I doubt you will ever hear the judges say she was "pitchy". She is just a great singer. Whether she will be popular among AI viewers is a more difficult call. But I can limit my losses in the long-term markets by bailing out. I am not necessarily stuck with her all season, just looking to make a profit.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:37 PM

some more on my thoughts---

season 1: best top 6 singer: tamrya winner: Kelly
season 2: best: Kim Locke: winner: Rueben
season 3: best: Jennifer H. winner: Fantasia
season 4: best: carrie winner: carrie
season 5; best: chris: winner: taylor

the key to advances is to sing your style better than anyone else