Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Re: getting fast cars in automatic....

People don't override superior systems to implement inferior systems.

The implication is that at least in some situations the manual transmission is superior.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:46 PM

Clutchless paddle shifting isn't as fun as straight up manuals, but it's not a big thing unless you are one of the rare people that really derive pleasure from it.

I admit if I glance in certain higher end sporty cars and see an automatic I sometimes think "weeeak," but on a major purchase, getting something other than what you want because an extreme minority of people think it might be slightly lame, is really stupid.

If you often have to drive in slow stop and go traffic, the annoyance of a manual there outweighs the pleasure difference gained when you get to open it up IMO.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but i believe he's talking about tiptronic transmission, which originated in formula 1, and is now featured in several sports cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify, there are two types of "hybrid" transmissions: those which are essentially automatic transmissions but whose gears can be changed manually (e.g., Porsche Tiptronic), and those which are essentially (clutchless) manual transmissions which can auto-change gears to mimic automatic mode (e.g., BMW SMG). I have owned both types, and they are quite different. The former offers a smooth, automatic-like ride in auto mode, whereas the latter offers all the performance (actually superior) of a clutch manual gearbox.

And to the OP: my previous car was a Tiptronic 911 Carrera. Did that make me a nancy? Well, maybe. But guess what? I could still smoke pretty much whatever POS manual car all the haters were driving.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:59 PM

i love manual's but as others have echoed, city driving in manuals is generally a bit of a pain. can't imagine ever buying a nice, fast car with an automatic though. driving a manual in one of those is so much more enjoyable.

if anyone is planning on shelling out a ton of money on a nice car with automatic transmission, please at least spend a day learning stick and test drive the same car with MT, can almost guarantee it will be more enjoyable
Old 11-23-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That logic is pretty retarded. Selling "retro" things is like a billion dollar industry. People have XBOX 360 and then get pong and whatever because its old school and fun and reminds them of the good old days.

im not disagreeing that manual doesn't have distinct advantages, just that there are countless reasons why people would want something that is technically less efficient.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The implication is that at least in some situations the manual transmission is superior.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're wrong, it implies no such thing. if people want it, it will be available. you could easily argue the other side, if manual was really superior why wouldn't it be manual, with an optional override for automatic?
Old 11-23-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, at mentioning VW and Subaru in a fast cars thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at knowing nothing about cars.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:18 PM

Formula 1 cars have start systems. So if all you want to do is red light racing you should definately invest in a sick automatic transmission.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That logic is pretty retarded. Selling "retro" things is like a billion dollar industry. People have XBOX 360 and then get pong and whatever because its old school and fun and reminds them of the good old days.

im not disagreeing that manual doesn't have distinct advantages, just that there are countless reasons why people would want something that is technically less efficient.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the same argument. Using an older system for nostalgic reasons is superior to a newer system because the joy is in the memories. I still have an Amiga for similar reasons.

[ QUOTE ]
you're wrong, it implies no such thing. if people want it, it will be available. you could easily argue the other side, if manual was really superior why wouldn't it be manual, with an optional override for automatic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because for most driving situations automatic is the superior option. Manual give you better control of the car but most people don't have any use for it. That doesn't mean it isn't better to have more control just that the way most people drive it won't make a difference. I have W rated tires on my car. 80% of the time I get no benefit from the higher speed rating. That does not mean they are not superior to lower rated tires.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:24 PM

Isn't the paddle shifted gearbox that Ferrari offers an actual manual transmission with a pneumatically operated clutch?

It has paddle shifters and no clutch pedal, but it is actually a manual transmission.

If automatic transmissions are superior to manuals, why does virtually every type of race car employ a manual?

Drag racing is really the only form of motorsports I can think of in which automatics are generally preferred, and the highest levels like funny car and top fuel do use transmissions based on a manual setup.

The answer is simple, in the hands of a competent driver, a manual transmission is the best design. They are lighter, more efficient, generate less heat, and hold up under extreme conditions better than automatics, not to mention they give the greatest degree of control to the driver, which should be a positive attribute.

The OP should get what he wants, and new automatics might be better for most people than manual transmissions, but it is not true that manual transmissions are obsolete or inferior, and will probably never be in the hands of a good driver.

It should be noted that many of the new paddle shifted transmissions have much more in common with traditional manual transmissions than with automatics.

If a transmission does not have a torque convertor, it isn't an automatic.