Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:59 PM

Default How to play 22/17

I currently run at around 18/13, but a poster in another thread wrote, "If you play at 22/17 poker becomes so much easier"? Would people say this is true, and if so, how do I run at those stats.

Currently I raise pps from all positions, AJ+, KQ from EP, all broadway when folded to me in MP, and high suited connectors 87s+ and all suited aces on the button after 0/1 limpers.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: How to play 22/17

its less about preflop and more about how confident you are playing postflop
Old 07-15-2007, 07:00 PM

You're a nit. You're probably not raising enough on the cutoff or button.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:02 PM

Don't aim for some stats you want to have. Just do what you think is optimal at all times. If you are running 18/13 though, you probably should be raising more, limping/calling less, and playing a bit more of your hands in general. I'd reccomend opening up a lot in the cutoff (like a lot of random crap), and even more random crap on the button.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:36 PM

Here's one thing you can do:

As an experiment, raise and call with a lot of hands that are usually a recommended fold. Things like KJ and weak aces. You'll get a ton of postflop experience and, while your final preflop hand selection after this experiment will probably exclude many of these hands, you will get a much better feel for how different hands can play post-flop as well as how villians will react to your much looser image.

This experiment will probably cost you some money but it's worth it in the long run.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:44 PM

It sounds like you need to understand position more. Raising really low pocket pairs in early position seems too loose for your stats. Starting raising all kinds of crap on the button.

My attempt to steal blinds is 37.67, and the button is where I have won by far the most money.

Also liberally reraise CO-raises with ATC if you feel he's starting to get out of line.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I currently run at around 18/13, but a poster in another thread wrote, "If you play at 22/17 poker becomes so much easier"? Would people say this is true, and if so, how do I run at those stats.

Currently I raise pps from all positions, AJ+, KQ from EP, all broadway when folded to me in MP, and high suited connectors 87s+ and all suited aces on the button after 0/1 limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

My stats are actually 22/18 over maybe 45k hands or so.

Really, the only advice I can give you for preflop play is quite simple advice - don't be so stringent with your starting hand requirements. Think about the other players at the table, and how their play and their perception of your play will influence how you play your hands. Don't only raise AJ+, KQs from EP. If it's a tight table, then open up your range. 98s is fun to raise from UTG on the right table. When you are in the CO or OTB, think about who has limped or raised before you, and how the blinds play. Do the blinds fold often? Was it folded to you? Then raise any two cards. Does the BB defend often? Then tighten up. Did two loose passive players limp before you and the blinds are tight? Then play some speculative hands for a raise (the blinds will fold and your loose-passive opponents will probably come along).

Just live a little and get out of the "JTs from UTG is unprofitable" mindset. Expand a bit by experimenting with different hands in different situations.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:56 PM

I average tighter than 22/17 but I definitely open up my games on the right tables (luckily I barely ever play on tables tight enuff to do so). Anyhow, if I was to play 22/17 at a table I would be open raising button with a lot of hands dependant on the blinds and I may open up my UTG/UTG+1 range if I thought people were giving me too much credit. Sometimes I also repop with weird hands like 47s or whatever if I think someone is raising my blinds/a certain position lightly.

I doubt that will help much. I mean I basically just told you "OK, play loose then!". But yeah thats pretty much it. I also cbet a lot more now than I used to.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:16 PM

raise more hands pf
Old 07-15-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its less about preflop and more about how confident you are playing postflop

[/ QUOTE ]I agree with this and also OP run some hand ranges through pokerstove if you really want to run a certain number.

IMO trying to live up to numbers is ridiculous. Just play the best you can and make the play the situation calls for.
Closed Thread