Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Odd / weird foods you eat, most people haven\'t heard of

[ QUOTE ]
haha oh yeah, [censored] on a shingle.. classic

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I couldn't believe someone was still eating it voluntarily. This was a hated dish for many decades.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
creamed chipped beef.. ever since i was a little tot.. although i don't think it's weird/odd but some people are like huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

My family eats this but we always eat in on toasted white bread. The proper name is SOS, "[censored] on a shingle."

[/ QUOTE ]

Military family? My grandfather was USAF and my mom grew up with the stuff; consequently I did as well, much as I tried to avoid it.

Weirdest thing I eat is def cottage cheese and salsa.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:25 AM

The mushy pea fritter -

Above is the shop bought version, but they also make these at my local chip shop - essentially a big glob of tinned mashed peas, coated in batter and deep fried.

Chip shop version looks like an egg from 'Aliens'
Old 09-25-2007, 07:28 AM

where are all the 2+2 chinks?

i didn't try any, but they were eating pig's nose with beer in seoul.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:37 AM

Special from issan ( north east thailand )

crickets, grasshoppers, cockroaches, water beetles, dung beetles, bamboo worms, scorpions, spiders and ant eggs.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
creamed chipped beef.. ever since i was a little tot.. although i don't think it's weird/odd but some people are like huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

My family eats this but we always eat in on toasted white bread. The proper name is SOS, "[censored] on a shingle."

[/ QUOTE ]

Military family? My grandfather was USAF and my mom grew up with the stuff; consequently I did as well, much as I tried to avoid it.

Weirdest thing I eat is def cottage cheese and salsa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a military family per se but I think it may have come from my grandfather. Everyone was "military" in the 40s/50s [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

While it looks like a plate of festering disease, it is very tasty. Anyone who likes biscuits and gravy would dig SOS.

My grandparents and dad used to make scrapple from time to time. Now there's some nasty [censored] that grows on you.

I think scrapple is made from the stuff that IS LEFT OUT OF hot dogs, sausage, and spam.

Funny quote from Wikipedia:

Scrapple was featured on an episode of Taste of America with Mark DeCarlo. Upon entering the facility where Scrapple is produced, the host met with the public relations manager who gave Mark a somewhat ambiguous answer as to what Scrapple is. Upon the PR's invitation to "see what it looks like coming in" referring to the cuts of meat, the PR's superior stepped in and told the crew of the show that not only were they not allowed to film the room but that their tour of the facility was over.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:17 PM

When I was a kid in Arizona, we used to buy this Mexican candy called chamoy by the case. It is basically a dried apricot and plum paste. It is sweet but spicy as well.

Also same place and time frame were my favorite...saladitos which although were "candy" they were nothing but dried plums that were DRENCHED in salt. They were so salty my mouth waters thinking about them

Old 09-25-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also same place and time frame were my favorite...saladitos which although were "candy" they were nothing but dried plums that were DRENCHED in salt. They were so salty my mouth waters thinking about them

[/ QUOTE ]

They look like dried up bull nads or something.

"try my salty balls"
Old 09-25-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've had these. Aren't they really sour?
Old 09-25-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was a kid in Arizona, we used to buy this Mexican candy called chamoy by the case. It is basically a dried apricot and plum paste. It is sweet but spicy as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Hawaii, these were called "cracked seed" or "li hing mui," and made usually by Chinese. The kind you picture are dried and sugared and salted plums. Sometimes people just called those "sweet and sour" and left it at that. There were all kinds of versions, some wet, some dry, some kinda in-between. Shredded mango was great, and really tangy. It was red for some reason. And dried lemon peel was really great. I miss the heck out of that stuff!

Best part was, when I would make a trip to Hawaii and come back with bags of the stuff, people would try it and usually spit it out, so I got to eat pretty much all of it. They'd be so scared off by the sour stuff they wouldn't come within a mile of the sweet.

An expensive treat, but well worth it. And so strongly flavored you eat them real slow, so in a way a lot of the stuff was effectively a bargain. A single lemon peel could last a half day or more.