View Poll Results: RB2?
Henry vs Houston 8 88.89%
Washington vs CLE 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Did He Touch Home?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While we are discussing other stuff in this thread.
What do you think of having 5 playoff teams in each league and have the two wild card teams play a one day playoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for drama, bad because one of those teams will be like 4 games over .500 or something and I like that baseball isn't the NBA.

[/ QUOTE ]
I mean do you really think adding two more playoff teams will make that big a difference?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:43 PM

Pudge,

Not really, but I'm not really in favor of a system that rewards being slightly above mediocre. I think what we've got right now is perfect. 3 division winners and the best 2nd best team. I wish football and basketball were more like that.

I think functionally marginalizing a 162 game regular seaons is goofy.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Was anyone surprised they didn't walk the bases loaded?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude walking the bases loaded equals bad call
Old 10-02-2007, 07:03 PM

Pudge,

This came up in recent days, and in addition to what's already been posted, another point I made was that the World Series winner almost certainly has the lowest regular-season winning percentage of any of the major sports. Just look at the wild card winners since play has begun, or the Cardinals last year. It's already too easy to ride hot pitching to a title, introducing another team just means yet another 86-game winner can luckbox their way to a title and further invalidate the purpose of the regular season.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:11 PM

Why didn't the Rocks have a pinch-runner at 3rd in this situtation. The teams were still using the 40-man roster and I am sure they had a guy who runs much faster than Holliday available.

Also: either slide feet first and try to dislodge the ball (if catcher already holding it) or do a Pete Rose while the catcher is trying to field the ball. The headfirst slide is by far the worst of options.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:13 PM

if they play a best of three as opposed to a one game playoff it will allow more teams to contend for a playoff spot while making 1>>>>2>3>>>>>>&gt ;>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>4>5

So not only will the wildcard team win less and the #1 seed win more but.... when a wildcard team does win they will have "earned" it a little more
Old 10-02-2007, 07:16 PM

Tuq,
In general baseball teams have worse records there are 62-20 teams in the nba there aren't many 120-42 teams in baseball.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:24 PM

Pudge,

I get that. A 100-win team is borderline "great" and that's only winning roughly 62.5% of the time. In the NBA that is roughly a 50-win team, which would probably be a 4-6 seed in their conference, and maybe one team has ever won a title with that few wins. I just don't like the idea of further watering down the playoff pool and weakening the regular season with a team barely over .500 who probably would in fact go on to win the series maybe 8-10% of the time. Seems like a disservice to those who actually performed during the season.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:47 PM

the MLB playoff scheme is great... as is the NFL's.

I tihnk the NHL and NBA should adapt playoff schemes just like the NFL, top-4-plus-2-more
Old 10-02-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't the Rocks have a pinch-runner at 3rd in this situtation. The teams were still using the 40-man roster and I am sure they had a guy who runs much faster than Holliday available.

Also: either slide feet first and try to dislodge the ball (if catcher already holding it) or do a Pete Rose while the catcher is trying to field the ball. The headfirst slide is by far the worst of options.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking your best player out of a tied extra inning game would not be a good move.