Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 10:20 PM

Default What were you doing a year ago this evening?

A year ago this evening (a Friday night, September 29th) I had just returned home after meeting friends after work for drinks and dinner.

As of the previous evening, it had appeared the legislative threat to online poker in 2006 had been thwarted. So when I checked in here, figured I would see more posts with a somewhat celebratory tone.

What I saw instead was a thread with play-by-play on the C-SPAN coverage of the passage of the Ports bill, with the UIGEA successfully attached, compliments of Sen. Bill Frist.

I couldn't watch the coverage, for fear I would throw something at the TV. Spent much of the weekend on the poker forums, joining what felt like a collective wake.

It was a dark weekend. Hard to believe it has been a year.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Re: What were you doing a year ago this evening?

I was commencing drinking heavily. I would proceed to pass out, then resume this process on Saturday.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:52 PM

Yes, I forgot to mention the drinking. Think everyone was toasted, or getting there quickly. Screw beer and wine----it was time for the hard stuff.

And this forum just got slammed in the days to follow. Kudos to you, Berge and all the folks who dealt with the fallout.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:12 PM

I was very upset when I heard the news. I decided that day to fight back for our rights as poker players and as Americans. I had no idea what I would do about it, as it seemed all hope was lost, but I knew I would do something. However, I knew I couldn't do anything by myself. Fortunately, there were several folks here willing to fight back. I realized we could magnify our effectness by working in concert. So, that was the genesis of trying to do something.

When we started, victory didn't even seem remotely possible. Rather, it was a stand based on principle only. Even folks here regularly derided us for trying. It was months before I could post on any non-Legislation 2p2 forum about this without getting the thread locked with an accusation of spamming (and that still happens on occasion). So, from these very humble beginnings, we grew and grew and grew.

We've not yet achieved victory, but I am able to do what I was doing last year at this time. I played poker online this evening. There were fish at the $15/$30 and $30/$60 6-max limit hold'em games (not a whole table full, but enough to make for a profitable game). And, I can still move cash electronically to my bank account. Our opponents promised one year ago that this would not be the case. Through our efforts, they did not gain their objectives. And, if we keep fighting back, we'll continue to keep our rights.

------------------------------------

Join the fight!: Fight for Online Poker!! Weeks of 9/24 & 10/1
Old 09-30-2007, 12:09 AM

I was on vacation miles from the internet, it was probably 3-4 days before I heard.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:10 AM

If I remember correctly the bad news started as I finished up work for the week. It came as quite a shock actually that something was in the works. I came home and started placing phone calls. I watched CSPAN most of the night for the first time ever and followed this board with Berge and MrK providing commentary.

That night not only switched my allegiances from Republican to Democratic Party, but I have also been donating money in close races to the Dems (I can't believe how drastically my views changed!) It is not much, but probably the way I can personally help fight back.

Thank god for no more Leach or Frist. We came alot closer than I though on Jon Kyl, maybe next time. I pray someone runs against Goodlatte that stands a chance (nothing to suggest that at this point), I will make the largest donation I have ever made to anything if that happens.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:21 AM

Default A note of appreciation to Mr. K, Berge, and Nate is in order first ...

A note of appreciation to Mr. K, Berge, and Nate is in order first. A long time ago I had lobbied on the Hill, these guys were unselfish and incredibly accurate with their analysis of the unfolding situation that night.

A number of 2+2ers in this Forum were well aware of what was coming down that night. Despite various so-called "poker advocates' arrogant assurances to the contrary, the [censored] was going to hit the fan.

We had been reviewing available bills for Frist to latch on to. The threads would reflect this history.

When John Warner very publicly had told Frist to go [censored] himself, we had been heartened; same thing when Arlen Spector refused to allow his Bill to be Fristed. However, we knew damn well that the Safe Ports Bill was open, calls to Rep. Peter King's offices had proven fruitless.

A lot of posters here do not understand the deluge of "assurances" and "guarantees" we had received from third parties for weeks that "nothing' was going to pass in 2006. All you had to do was look at the votes, actors and legislation to know these political neophytes were whistling past the graveyard. That frustrating experience can explain a lot of 2+2 posters' skepticism with which any claims now to "represent poker players" or "represent online gaming" or this or that bill is THE only feasible answer.

The world did not end; the UIGEA did NOT make online poker illegal. The market for meeting consumer demands became a lot less efficient, while returns did not sufficiently reward a perceived legal risk for public companies' managements tastes. Private entrepeneurs were left in the forfront of meeting US players demands for the legal provision of poker services online.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:23 AM

"I can't believe how drastically my views changed!"

Being shot at, without result, can clarify one's perceptions immediately.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Re: A note of appreciation to Mr. K, Berge, and Nate is in order first

[ QUOTE ]
However, we knew damn well that the Safe Ports Bill was open, calls to Rep. Peter King's offices had proven fruitless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow do I have mixed feelings about Mr. King. I remember calling him (and his phones were swamped that night) to no avail as he bent over for Bill Frist. It is a shame now that Mr. King has seen light a little too late [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Everyone makes mistakes, but boy was that a huge a one. Glad to have him on our side now.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:52 AM

Default Re: A note of appreciation to Mr. K, Berge, and Nate is in order first ...

[ QUOTE ]
A note of appreciation to Mr. K, Berge, and Nate is in order first. A long time ago I had lobbied on the Hill, these guys were unselfish and incredibly accurate with their analysis of the unfolding situation that night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. I was browsing this forum while watching cspan and trying to keep my wife (who was crying her eyes out) from going completely nuts. 100% of our income is from online poker.

If Bill Frist had walked in my living room that night, I would have broke my hand on his face. I know that's not the Christian or adult thing to do, but I really don't think I could've helped it. ;]