Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 12:15 AM

Default Hand vs Colson10 in 2500 6h

I had been at the table about 20 min. Both the button and the BB in this hand are terrible and stationish, BB moreso pre flop and button moreso post flop in terms of station tendencies.

Colson and i had been chatting casually, we've played a bit online before, but i think this is first time at same table live.

Hero is UTG+1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Colson: 4150
Hero: ~5000
Button: ~8000
BB: ~9000

Preflop: UTG folds, hero raises to 300, CO folds, button calls, Colson calls in SB, BB calls.

Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Pot 1200)
Checks around.

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Pot 1200)
Colson checks, BB checks, hero bets 750, button calls, Colson shoves for 3850, BB folds, hero?

My thoughts on the hand: I only worse 2 pair colson can possibly have here is 46ss, which i'm not sure he calls with pre and if he does i imagine he'll lead the flop a good % of the time as well.

He knows the button is weak but he also knows the button is stationish, so i can't say for sure how likely he thinks it is that he'll be called. Would he do this with a pair and a flush draw? I'm not sure, A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] he very well might do this, but he also might just call turn. I can def see him playing AQ/A6/66 like this.

Your thoughts?
Old 06-19-2007, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Hand vs Colson10 in 2500 6h

i think there are too many possible combo draws for you to fold here. i also dont see why he would play 66/AQ like this, and A6 is probably only in his range if its suited, and even then thats an iffy call pf. im pretty sure this is a call.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:23 AM

Also, from players i consulted today:

Sirwatts: I don't think i can find a fold there.

Adanthar: Thats an insta fold!
Old 06-19-2007, 12:25 AM

Colson can possibly have a lot of combo draws in his range, 78cc/hh, 57cc/hh, KJcc/hh, JTcc/hh, etc. Though, i'm not sure he'd check/shove here, cause ur betting range is rarely worse than an ace. If he thinks ur going to fold an ace to a check/shove or possibly two pair, then def call. More later.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:28 AM

i think this is a pretty interesting spot. at first i thought it was a call but i'm not sure anymore. your hand definitely looks like an ace, or a big draw you just turned, buttons hand is a weak ace or a draw almost always. i'm not sure how colson plays pf but he can def have 44/66/aq here. seems like it's such a drawy board it's really easy for you to just put him on a draw and call w/ 1 pair which is why i'm leaning towards a fold, but then again he can just be leveling you and be shoving a draw anyway because he thinks you'll fold 1 pair(which seems like the case). the button being stationish makes me want to fold this, though it's definitely close imo.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:00 AM

call

I know im supposed to respond w/ more than 1 word, but this really is a call.

There are simply way too many semi bluffing hands he can have, which he would expect to get you to fold most of your Ax hands with.

Edit: I didn't realize button called. This is closer than i thought I guess.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had been at the table about 20 min. Both the button and the BB in this hand are terrible and stationish, BB moreso pre flop and button moreso post flop in terms of station tendencies.

Colson and i had been chatting casually, we've played a bit online before, but i think this is first time at same table live.

Hero is UTG+1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Colson: 4150
Hero: ~5000
Button: ~8000
BB: ~9000

Preflop: UTG folds, hero raises to 300, CO folds, button calls, Colson calls in SB, BB calls.

Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Pot 1200)
Checks around.

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Pot 1200)
Colson checks, BB checks, hero bets 750, button calls, Colson shoves for 3850, BB folds, hero?

My thoughts on the hand: I only worse 2 pair colson can possibly have here is 46ss, which i'm not sure he calls with pre and if he does i imagine he'll lead the flop a good % of the time as well.

He knows the button is weak but he also knows the button is stationish, so i can't say for sure how likely he thinks it is that he'll be called. Would he do this with a pair and a flush draw? I'm not sure, A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] he very well might do this, but he also might just call turn. I can def see him playing AQ/A6/66 like this.

Your thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how good is Colson. But I assume he's a good player and I also assume he knows you (hero) is also a good player.

Now, let's see the stack/pot size at the turn when he c/r.

1200+750+750=2700. He c/r shoved 3850, pot=6550, gave caller 6550:3150 odd to call. If you know his play and he's a good player, you are ahead against flush draw with one pair and behind against other hands in his pushing range. (Assume he isn't bad enough to push a pure flush draw here with no pair) It's a fold.

Against a solid tight player, it's a fold. Against loose/active player, it's a call.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:52 AM

pshh

he has nuts or draw here (nuts being better than A4)

and he obv doesnt have AA/QQ

so it's 44/66 or one of 8 trillion draws, tell me how you do against that range
Old 06-19-2007, 02:17 AM

Am I the only one who thinks this is almost NEVER a combo draw?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pshh

he has nuts or draw here (nuts being better than A4)

and he obv doesnt have AA/QQ

so it's 44/66 or one of 8 trillion draws, tell me how you do against that range

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we should focus on the question "are we up against a draw?" instead of "how do we do against a draw?".

Let's think from Colson's side, assume he's a reasonable tight/solid player. Colson knows Bond's play. This is a $2500 6-handed WSOP ($300K+ first place plus bracelet). People play their "A game" not 8 windows MTTs online.

PF
Bond raised PF from EP, button called. Colson called from SB. Obviously Colson put Bond and the button in a range, for bond, probably Ax or a pp; for Button, wider range.

Flop
On the flop, Colson checked, Bond checked (Colson knew Bond missed the flop and Bond had Ax not pp), Button checked (he missed the flop too, nothing else Colson knew about button).

turn
On the turn, Ac fell. Colson was pretty sure Bond would bet the turn. Colson checked. Bond bet 750. Colson didn't like the button called because button could have a flush draw.

Assume Colson had a combo draw, he's not likely to push here because he knew his outs were fewer than HU with bond because button might have two of his outs and button might beat him with a higher flush... Colson would call the turn if he's on the draw.

In fact, Colson pushed the turn, his range is most likely a set or AQ at least.

question
Why Colson didn't bet the flop with a set or tptk? He might expecting bond to c-bet the flop and take proper action from there depend on button's action. Yes, there is a chance of set over set vs bond, then Colson is unlucky.

I think Colson's pushing range is ahead of us most of the time here.