Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 PM

Default WSOP $2500 6-max vs. Cunningham

This is my second table, been there maybe 30-45 minutes we're in 50/100. I've been relatively active as always, raised the 2 weak limpers to my right in my BB once, 3-bet a weak raise from button and CCer in my BB, opened a few pots but nothing outrageous and I haven't shown anything yet.

I get JJ UTG+1 and make it 325, folds to Allen in the SB who calls and we're HU at flop.

Flop comes 433hh. He checks I bet 500, he calls.

Turn 4d so now 2 hearts 2 diamonds. He checks, I bet 900, he calls.

River 6h, he leads between 1/2 and 2/3 pot.

He has me covered, but not by much, and if I call and lose I have like.... 1k left

Note: I'm tryin my best to remember the details of the bets, I know I bet 500 on flop and we both bet between 1/2 and 2/3 on turn and river, and I know I had about 1k behind if I call river bet, he has maybe 1-1.5k more than me at this point?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Re: WSOP $2500 6-max vs. Cunningham

As I read AC - he knew you had over pair when you lead out the turn. With this information, plus yours and his plays at the table, you should be able to make correct river decision.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:22 PM

NYWalker nailed it.

AC knows you have a pocket pair and there is no way that he is giving you credit for being able to fold an overpair on this board. He is probably folding 55-88 often on the turn and he probably would expect you to check behind the river with JJ-AA so he does not need to throw out a blocking bet when he does make it to the river with 99/TT. This is not the type of board that he would call down to make a big play on you, the only hand that he could have reasonably had is the flush draw.

Toss it into the muck, I don't think its very close either
Old 06-18-2007, 10:28 PM

I didn't lead turn, he checked and I bet behind.

After the hand I thought a better line might be check behind on turn so I wouldn't be put to this decision on the river with a bloated pot - KK or AA I think are much easier to check through becuase so many scary cards can come on this river for JJ.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:46 PM

I definitely check behind turn.

As played folding the river is correct.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 PM
 is offline

I don't necessarily check behind on the turn, but I feel better about my turn bet if I'm able to fold the river when AC obviously has us beat.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:00 PM

Is it that out of the question that he blocks with 88-TT here? I'm not extremely familiar with AC's play and I like.... never watch poker on TV so I really wasn't sure what he was capable of here, which obviously hurts me.

FWIW through the table chatter I think he could've inferred that I was a competent player and could definitely fold an overpair here - given that, isn't this a pretty great river for him to bluff me off? Is that possible?
Old 06-20-2007, 02:56 AM

I ended up folding, so I have no clue what he held.

I guess this hand was relatively standard?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:03 AM

You have the best hand like 90% of the time on the turn why would anyone check?`
Old 06-20-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have the best hand like 90% of the time on the turn why would anyone check?`

[/ QUOTE ]

I obviously didn't think it was a good idea to check at the time, so I bet - as you said I'm ahead so often here and giving a free river card is gross when a Q-A can come, a flush can come, etc.

The advantage of checking behind on turn is that it makes for an easier river decision I think because he won't be betting most my stack into a much smaller pot. Also it could get him to think that I gave up on the turn and possibly fire any river?

What's his range in this hand? I tanked for a while on river and felt like his bet size was wanting me to call, so I folded.